How do you save pellet hops after the bag is open?

I am making the RyePA partial mash and I noticed the recipe says to use 0.5 ounce Palisade at 0 min and save the other half for dryhopping.

How do you save the pellet hops? Should I put them in a ziploc bag and place them in the freezer until they are needed for dryhopping?

Thanks!

I have a FoodSaver so I just reseal them and put them back in the freezer. If you don’t have a way to vaccuum seal, then I would put them in a ziplock, remove as much as possible, and put them in the freezer.

+1. Airtight and frozen is the best way.

Thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated!

I will use a ziploc bag and get as much air out as possible.

Once you start buying hops in bulk a vacuum sealer is really nice to have but for the odd partial ounce I wouldn’t sweat just using a ziploc with the air squeezed out.

Foodsaver vacuum sealer for me. It has served me well.

+1! Still on my first box of bags. I’ve read a lot of people complaining of the price of bags, but it hasn’t been an issue for me. The trick is to cut them bigger then you need and reuse as many times as possible. If you empty a bag and use up a hop, save it for the end of another bag of hops.

+1! Still on my first box of bags. I’ve read a lot of people complaining of the price of bags, but it hasn’t been an issue for me. The trick is to cut them bigger then you need and reuse as many times as possible. If you empty a bag and use up a hop, save it for the end of another bag of hops.[/quote]

Good advice about the “bigger than you need bags”. Learned the hard way this weekend that trying to minimize bag size takes longer and does not work nearly as well.

For a small bag of hops that I will use the remander for dry hopping, I will just wrap it up tight and put a couple rubber bands around it. This keeps most of the air out. Everything else gets vacuum sealed. Both stay in the freezer.

I vacuum seal mine in canning jars, then freeze them. Works for me.

tom

I buy my hops by the pound from HopsDirect
http://www.hopsdirect.com/store/
. You can reseal their packages with an iron, so
I do this and throw the bag back in the freezer.