Hop Schedules

I’ve experimented with 10 and <10 minute hop additions and don’t feel it adds much to the beer. I’ve had much more success adding hops between 30 and 15 for flavor (with a small amount under 10 minutes) and then dry hopping for aroma. I’m also hop-amount-conscious when brewing a beer so I don’t like over using hops at knockout and whirlpool to achieve the same effect 30-15 minute and dry hopping can achieve - especially when half the amount of hops are necessary the way i do it. Am i missing something? I feel my IPA recipes are very hoppy yet much less complicated than what is trending. Only curious to see if there is a real character difference in massive amounts of late addition hops and whirlpooling vs what i am doing. Or are both methods a means to the same end?

I’ve kind of been wondering about this as well because I actually don’t really do a lot of APAs or IPAs and have just been getting back into them. I know I like the fifteen minute addition for flavor but was wondering more about the difference of just replacing flameout or even five minute additions with dryhops. Curious.

I think you guys might be on to something. I make large batches and sometimes use 1 pound between the last 15 minutes, followed by dry hopping in the secondary and keg hopping after that. I often wonder if I would get the same beer if I left out the 0-15m hops.

or returning to something.

As far as IPA/APA hop schedules,
I think the excessive use of late hops has only been “trending” broadly for about 7 years now
born out of the hopburst
with the goal of maximum hop saturation.

As far as hop schedules in general, it seems like the type of beer and hop variety matters.
For example, the aroma in a delicately Crystal dryhopped saison might better than adding Crystal late in the boil.

I am thinking no, but you should try it and let us know
especially given the supply of some choice hops these days. :wink:

I have been working on a recipe and I actually went to a 60, 15, 0 and then dry hop schedule. I still don’t know what I really get adding in hops at zero, but I assume flavor. I guess I will see how it turns out.

[quote=“GarretD”]I still don’t know what I really get adding in hops at zero, but I assume flavor.[/quote]Depending on how fast you chill your wort under ~150F you can get bittering and/or flavor and/or aroma from flameout hops.

Using a plate chiller I chill in under five minutes so I have really been trying to eliminate flame out hops. The fifteen is really my go to flavor addition so I’m keeping that but thinking about cutting back on stuff below that and just dry hopping. Maybe…

It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison. One SMaSH hopped at 60,15,10,5,0, and then dry hopped and the other just at 60,15 and dryhop. Question is how much would you dry hop the same amount as usual? Or go bigger?

I’ve been doing about 40 IBUs for first wort hopping, then adding several ounces at flame out and doing a 30 minute hop stand. It gets down to about 180F in that time. I’ve been pleased with the results.

Beersk, do you feel that the 30 minute hop stand gives you a flavor or character that 30-15 minute additions and dry hopping can not achieve? That’s really my main concern - that I’m missing a hop component that would make my beer better.

On a secondary note, how much hops are you using in that hop stand to achieve your hop-character profile vs what you would normally use if doing 30-15 for flavor and dry hopping for aroma (the hop varieties staying consistent, of course).

Here is an example of a 5 gallon IPA @ 1.055 using only Nelson Sauvin (12%aa):

.55 oz FWH
.83 oz 30m
1.1 oz 20m
.83 oz 5m

1.25 oz dry hop

The beer comes out quite hoppy with loads of flavor and aroma. What I’m wondering is, could you take the same amount of hops, do additions at 60, <10, and hop stand & dry hop and produce a beer with more flavor and aroma than what can be achieved with a schedule similar to what is above or would it require a larger amount of hops?