Hop Combination

Hello,
I just read the post about single hops experiment and it got me thinking about an ipa i’ll be brewing this weekend. I just started making my own recipes & guessing(hoping) for the hop combination. The ipa will use warrior for bittering, columbus & centennial for flavor/aroma. Also a centennial dryhop. Plan on a 5 gal. batch, so i was wondering if some of you use this combo, or similar, and if they play well together? Any info. is appreciated. Thanks!

[quote=“Thirstyone”]Hello,
I just read the post about single hops experiment and it got me thinking about an ipa i’ll be brewing this weekend. I just started making my own recipes & guessing(hoping) for the hop combination. The ipa will use warrior for bittering, columbus & centennial for flavor/aroma. Also a centennial dryhop. Plan on a 5 gal. batch, so i was wondering if some of you use this combo, or similar, and if they play well together? Any info. is appreciated. Thanks![/quote]

Its a great combination. CTZ will give you some resinous flavor/aroma, and the centennial will be right there with it with some pine/citrus. You might even consider throwing in some columbus as FWH. Bear in mind IME this will make it measure higher in IBU’s, but you won’t taste the bitterness as much. It adds a great resinous flavor that isn’t too bitter/harsh.

My ‘standard’ IPA schedule:

-FWH columbus
-bittering magnum
-a lot of mixed additions from 20 minutes in (cent, citra, amarillo, simcoe, experimental/new varietal hops)

Yes, they are good together. I have a SMaSH IPA, all Columbus, and for this third and last keg of the latest batch I decided to dryhop with Centennial just for a change of pace - tapped the partially-carbed keg last night and it was pretty wonderful.

Thanks for the reassurance you guys. I’ll leave the recipe as is this time, but i’d like to try the FWH method. Maybe next time. :cheers: