Hop bill listed as percentages

At the back of the IPA book by Mitch Steele he lists a number of recipes and the hop bill for most of the recipes he lists as percentages. I’m not too sure what this means. Percentage of what? Is this percentages of the total IBU’s of the beer?

If its percentages of IBU does it take into consideration the lower IBU contribution of later hop additions? if so since 0 min additions theoretically add almost no IBU’s this doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

It’s percent of total weight of hops for the recipe. You set up the recipe, input the AA% and weight % of each hop, then play with the total weight to get the IBUs. It’s similar to the HBU concept for hopping.

Since it appears BeerSmith doesnt show the overall weight percentage of hops I’ll have to throw together a spreadsheet to make that easier.

Yeah, a spreadsheet using goal-seek on the IBU total, varying the hop weight total, is the way to go.

The only problem with this method of recipe formulation is it is completely dependent on knowing which IBU formula the recipe creator used when writing the recipe (Rager, Tinseth, etc.).

Anyone off hand know which formula Mitch Steele uses in his book?

Aren’t IBUs irrelevant in an IPA? At least for the American versions. :twisted:

If making an English IPA, it matters of course.

Most celebrities seem to use Rager. Most other intellectuals seem to use Tinseth. There is a huge difference between the two. So pick one and pick your desired BU:GU ratio and go from there.

[quote=“mattnaik”]The only problem with this method of recipe formulation is it is completely dependent on knowing which IBU formula the recipe creator used when writing the recipe (Rager, Tinseth, etc.).

Anyone off hand know which formula Mitch Steele uses in his book?[/quote]

I think it’s dependent on knowing which formulas/utilization to use for your particular system. It actually doesn’t matter what the brewery/author used (if it did, he would have just included weights rather than %). In other words, he intentionally used % so that the reader would out together a hop bill that A) hit the target IBUs and B) distributed those hops throughout the various additions in the same ratios that the original brewery used.

[quote=“mattnaik”]At the back of the IPA book by Mitch Steele he lists a number of recipes and the hop bill for most of the recipes he lists as percentages. I’m not too sure what this means. Percentage of what? Is this percentages of the total IBU’s of the beer?

If its percentages of IBU does it take into consideration the lower IBU contribution of later hop additions? if so since 0 min additions theoretically add almost no IBU’s this doesnt make a whole lot of sense.[/quote]

To confuse things further on a commercial scale a good portion of IBUs can come from zero minute additions. They certainly can’t chill to pitching temp in 20 minutes even if they tried. I really wanted to try the goose island IPA from that book but never got around to it. If you’re running beer smith you can try to enter the recipe’s zero minute additions as whirlpool. Not sure if its accurate to it does add calculated IBUs

[quote=“beerme11”][quote=“mattnaik”]At the back of the IPA book by Mitch Steele he lists a number of recipes and the hop bill for most of the recipes he lists as percentages. I’m not too sure what this means. Percentage of what? Is this percentages of the total IBU’s of the beer?

If its percentages of IBU does it take into consideration the lower IBU contribution of later hop additions? if so since 0 min additions theoretically add almost no IBU’s this doesnt make a whole lot of sense.[/quote]

To confuse things further on a commercial scale a good portion of IBUs can come from zero minute additions. They certainly can’t chill to pitching temp in 20 minutes even if they tried. I really wanted to try the goose island IPA from that book but never got around to it. If you’re running beer smith you can try to enter the recipe’s zero minute additions as whirlpool. Not sure if its accurate to it does add calculated IBUs[/quote]
Exactly. They aren’t going to give you the recipe EXACTLY. But with that said I personally don’t think it matters. I personally haven’t bought less beer because I can make my own. One of my favs is New Glarus Moon Man. I can’t get it here is OH but I doubt that even if I had the recipe that I could turn it over as quickly being an “amateur” and wanting to brew other beers. Just not feasible. Would be easier to buy it.