Honey nut brown?

I wanted to put together a brown ale with honey malt and have a little nuttiness to boot. Any ideas on a grain bill? I was thinking WLP 007 with goldings and tettnanger. I have some brown malts from a friend but have never used them so I’m leery.

Here is a recipe I threw together. It is a work in progress but it is a good starting point so you can make some adjustments as you see fit. I like it so far.

6.5 lb (65%) Maris Otter
8 oz (5%) Biscuit
8 oz (5%) Crystal 60
8 oz (5%) chocolate malt
1 lb (10%) CaraPils
1 lb (10%) Honey Malt

2 oz Willamette (60 min boil)

1 tsp Irish Moss (15 min boil)

Windsor yeast

IMO that’s a lot of honey malt. I’ve used it a few times and it is very ascertive! A half pound goes a long way!

I tend to like the sweetness of the honey malt and with the honey nut brown ale that is a big point of the flavor profile.

Like I said, it is a work in progress. If one would rather have a more hoppy or a stronger nutty flavor than half a pound of honey malt would suffice.

Nothing on advice for the brown malts? I’d hate to waste them especially as something that’s new to me.

This is a recipe I like to brew once in a while, using brown malt:

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 73.1 %
1 lbs Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.1 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.8 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.6 %
5.6 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.2 %
5.6 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.2 %
0.65 oz Galena [12.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 27.0 IBUs
0.35 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 3.2 IBUs

Do you think I could pinch in some honey malt and get away with it?

In my recipe you could subs the biscuit for the honey malt.

True dat. I use honey malt as a replacement for crystal in my IPA’S with very good results. About 6 oz. is all it takes.