Honey kÖlsch

I received my Honey Kolsch kit today, and began checking out the instructions.

It says to add the honey at the end of the boil. They mean flameout? Turn it off, add the honey and let it sit there? I guess I’m not sure what they are getting at here. A part of it says to get it down to 100f as fast as possible.

While continuing on, it says to add some cool water and eventually get it down to yeast pitching temperature. Is the 100f a goal to prevent something or help something along? There are no other steps in between getting it to 100f and yeast pitching temps. Just curious why it didn’t say to directly get it down to yeast pitching temps as fast as possible.

Also, do you check the gravity after adding the honey or before?

I refrigerated the yeast as soon as it arrived. I ordered the liquid yeast and it came inside a brown envelope package. The pack felt like it was already activated, sort of plump and airy. Any worries here if I plan on brewing this anytime between today and this weekend?

Thanks for helping with the newbie questions.

Add the honey at flame out and stir well, then cool to low 60’s as quickly as possible. They figure if you get to under 100 and add the balance as cold water you will be near pitching temps, but most people think that the pitching temps and fermentation temps they list are too high and too generic. You want low 60’s throughout fermentation if possible. And don’t pitch hot, pitch at or just below the temp you plan to ferment.

If you have not done so, research temp control on this site and especially ‘swamp coolers’.

[quote=“560sdl”]Add the honey at flame out and stir well, then cool to low 60’s as quickly as possible. They figure if you get to under 100 and add the balance as cold water you will be near pitching temps, but most people think that the pitching temps and fermentation temps they list are too high and too generic. You want low 60’s throughout fermentation if possible. And don’t pitch hot, pitch at or just below the temp you plan to ferment.

If you have not done so, research temp control on this site and especially ‘swamp coolers’.[/quote]

Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply.

I’ve been looking at temp control devices and was considering on making my own control following some online directions. But, I’ll check out swamp coolers as well.

see my signature line for ideas.

[quote=“JPR”]

I’ve been looking at temp control devices and was considering on making my own control following some online directions. But, I’ll check out swamp coolers as well.[/quote]

For kolsch, you’ll want to be in the mid to high 50s to ferment…assuming that you have a kolsch yeast. So temp control will be important.

[quote=“stompwampa”][quote=“JPR”]

I’ve been looking at temp control devices and was considering on making my own control following some online directions. But, I’ll check out swamp coolers as well.[/quote]

For kolsch, you’ll want to be in the mid to high 50s to ferment…assuming that you have a kolsch yeast. So temp control will be important.[/quote]

White Labs says it’s kolsch yeast doesn’t do well under 62.

That’s interesting. We just brewed a kolsch (bottled last weekend) with Wyeast 2565 Kolsch Yeast and fermented at 58 with great results.

Well, first part done.

I put the honey in as directed, after flame is turned off. Then I promptly began lowering the temperature.

Once it was time to take the gravity check, I ended up with a 1.106. I certainly wasn’t expecting that number. I am either reading this thing wrong, or maybe the honey is messing it up?

Blah, don’t take measurement from kettle!!

Real reading 1.044 @ 70f.

I brewed the Honey Kolsch yesterday.

At the 60 minute mark I turned off the flame and added the honey while stirring. I stirred for a couple minutes to ensure it was blended and then put the brew kettle in the ice bath in the sink.

I have noticed with my NB extract kits that getting to the 100 degree mark streamlines the process and almost guarantees the correct yeast pitching temp. You have the 2 to 2.5 gallons of wort at 100 degrees and you top off your primary with cold water to bring the remaining to 5 gallons. Every temperature check I make shows it at around 60-65 degrees.

Each of my kits has begun bubbling within a couple hours, so the instructions nail it when it comes to temps.

I’m excited about this beer as it will be the first “clean” beer I’ve brewed. All the previous have been porters and stouts.

Best!