Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Honey Country Pilsner

Brewed up the Honey Country Pilsner small batch kit from NB almost two weeks ago. Didn’t have enough room in the ferm chamber for another 5 gal carboy. (the others are in secondary so the low temps shouldn’t be an issue) The instructions on their 1 gal kits are pretty generic, so when I can, I will use the directions for the 5 gal version of the same beer kit. But there isn’t a 5 gal version of this one. It doesn’t mention a secondary or lagering at all. I plan on doing both as I know it will result in a better beer, but I’d love some helpful tips. It’s my first lager and I don’t want this to discourage me from lagering in the future. I have a chest freezer w/ a temp controller on it and it’s currently finishing up primary at 50 deg. Where should I go from here?

I’m not sure I understand your issue: do you not have room in the fermenter or are you not sure as to fermentation schedule/temps at all for this beer? Could you post recipe, including yeast/recommended ferment temp?

If I were you I would take it out of ferm chamber and let it sit at room temp for about 5 days (diacetyl rest). If it has reached terminal gravity you can cold crash it and lager it at 32° for at least a month, 2 is better. If it hasn’t stopped fermenting, lower the temps about 5° per day until you reach lagering temps. About a week before bottling hit it with gelatin for crystal clear beer. When you bottle it allow it to warm a little, say back to 50°, then allow it to condition at regular temps. AFTER ITS CARBED, pop them back in fridge to re-lager it.

That’s what I would do except I would keg it. :wink:

Thanks Loopie. That’s the kind of info I was looking for.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com