Hofbrau Miabock

I just happened to see this example sitting in the “import” section. So I bought a 6-er… I will be going back to see if theres more… I’m hoping not many peeps tried/know about this one up here. I will think that this is as close to a “German” traditional style I can find (made in Germany). So if you go to their web site, they even tell what malt and hops used! Now to replicating this is within reach… I want to say the London yeast I used sure seems to have a similar background flavor this brew exhibited… I would love to stash a six-er away until Miabock brewing season… Just as a sample to look towards. Sneezles61

1614 – The first Maibock

The First Mailbock
[the first brewmaster hired] Heimeran Pongraz’ successor, Elias Pichler, was under pressure. The new brewery on the Platzl was complete, brewing was in progress, but the ducal court was complaining. In olden days, they lamented, there was always some of that good old strong beer from Einbeck to be had, but now – nothing but that locally brewed Braunbier and Weissbier. There had to be something stronger! Pichler experimented and in early 1614 produced the first beer in Munich brewed using the “Ainpockhisch” (Einbeck) method [heating the beer to a very high temperature which enabled it to ferment longer]. This “Maibock” beer was to save the city of Munich.
When the Swedish army occupied the town in 1632 during the Thirty Years’ War, they only refrained from plundering and burning once they had been paid tribute of 344 pails of Maibock beer brewed in the Hofbräuhaus brewery.

Thank you! It all seems to it tie together… Sneezles61

In looking for the Einbeck method I found this article which is a great read.
A snippet to entice you to read further…
“When the warmer weather came to Einbeck each year, the brewing had to cease because the temperature was too high for fermentations. So a spring fair was held. At this event, a draw took place to determine the order at which the mobile kettle would visit householders during the next brewing season. The beer served at the fair is said to have been the original May Bock.”
http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000034.html

1 Like

I’ve not ever thought to look at that… I’ll be busy reading alot… Sneezles61

Interesting read. Sad to see there is no longer a festival to celebrate the maibock.

Hmmmmm, a potential project for ORBC in the Spring?

Nothings off the table!

So let me be a dummy… ORBC? I suggest we then make it our festive plan… So, say we develop a few different brews as a collective team… Brew them … Well, possibly starting now and allow them to “age”… Albiet, Ale or Lager… May 1rst should be the posting AND pictures of a schooner full of home brew… Now what should the vessel look like? Just a grand endeavor to look and enjoy! I can always wrap my thoughts around another “brew holiday”! Sneezles61
I figured it out… Geez… Loopies brewery!