Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

High "FG"

Hi - I’m in the middle of my first brew, Caribou Slobber. I’m searching for some advice before I move forward. I measured the gravity this evening and found it to be high (1.029) and unchanged from a measurement I took on 5-13-13. Here is a little background on the process so far.

The batch was created on 5-1-13 with a measured OG of 1.051. Fermentation was noted before I left for work the next morning. It increased to the point where I had to install a blow off tube for a few days. Eventually things settled down, and I replaced the blow off with a normal seal. Every time I have checked the temperature on the carboy it has been 64 deg F (low end for the yeast). I pitched a dry Danstar Windsor Ale yeast. I made the batch within two (2) weeks of receiving it from NB. After doing a bit of reading, I decided against racking to secondary.

Using an attenution of 71%, I estimate the that the FG should be around 1.015 (hopefully I haven’t misunderstood attenution). In order to weed out temperature influence on the refractometer, I set the sample and a glass of water next to each other for 1/2 hour. I calibrated on water and took the beer gravity reading (1.029 again).

The airlock activity has greatly slowed but was still present. Even after resealing tonight, I can see that the bubble is slowly moving. I would estimate it at 20-30 minutes between burps.

I did taste the excess sample each time. To me it felt that the 5-13 sample was “rougher” tasting. Tonight’s sample wasn’t half bad. Unless advised otherwise, my plan is to let it sit for two (2) more weeks. If it doesn’t change by then, I will bottle and deal with it.

I have the following questions.

1. Did I do anything wrong?
  2. What is going on in there right now?
  3. Are corrective actions needed?

I don’t use a refractometer, but you have to calculate for the alcohol post fermentation. I’m sure someone will post a link.

Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

[quote=“Norge”]Hi - I’m in the middle of my first brew, Caribou Slobber. I’m searching for some advice before I move forward. I measured the gravity this evening and found it to be high (1.029) and unchanged from a measurement I took on 5-13-13. Here is a little background on the process so far.

The batch was created on 5-1-13 with a measured OG of 1.051. Fermentation was noted before I left for work the next morning. It increased to the point where I had to install a blow off tube for a few days. Eventually things settled down, and I replaced the blow off with a normal seal. Every time I have checked the temperature on the carboy it has been 64 deg F (low end for the yeast). I pitched a dry Danstar Windsor Ale yeast. I made the batch within two (2) weeks of receiving it from NB. After doing a bit of reading, I decided against racking to secondary.

Using an attenution of 71%, I estimate the that the FG should be around 1.015 (hopefully I haven’t misunderstood attenution). In order to weed out temperature influence on the refractometer, I set the sample and a glass of water next to each other for 1/2 hour. I calibrated on water and took the beer gravity reading (1.029 again).

The airlock activity has greatly slowed but was still present. Even after resealing tonight, I can see that the bubble is slowly moving. I would estimate it at 20-30 minutes between burps.

I did taste the excess sample each time. To me it felt that the 5-13 sample was “rougher” tasting. Tonight’s sample wasn’t half bad. Unless advised otherwise, my plan is to let it sit for two (2) more weeks. If it doesn’t change by then, I will bottle and deal with it.

I have the following questions.

1. Did I do anything wrong?

Yes, you didn’t correct the refractometer reading.

1. What is going on in there right now?

Nothing, it’s done. :wink:

1. Are corrective actions needed?

http://www.brewheads.com/refract-currentgrav.php[/quote]

Refractometers measure the bend of light passing through (in our case) a sugar solution. Introduce an alcohol solution and the light bends differently.

Enter your numbers in the Brewhead’s calculator I linked to and you should find everything is OK. Thanks for mentioning you used a refractometer. Otherwise this could have gone on for 3 pages and 5 days. :slight_smile:

That is exactly it! Missed that point in my reading. After correcting, the gravity is 1.015, as anticipated. Thanks to both of you.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]

Thanks for mentioning you used a refractometer. Otherwise this could have gone on for 3 pages and 5 days. :slight_smile: [/quote]

+1^^^^^ Full info is really helpful

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com