Hemp Beer

Hi All,
I’m looking to brew a hemp beer and am wondering if anyone has a good recipe. I’ve checked the web and some recipes call for an ounce of hemp seeds, while others call for substantially more.
Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Markat

Kettle House Brewery in Missoula, MT brews a hemp porter called Olde Bongwater. It’s a good porter, but I really don’t think there’s much of a flavor contribution from the hemp. Have you ever eaten hemp seeds? Not much to them, if you ask me. You might try toasting some in the oven until they taste good to you, and then adding them to your mash.

Here’s a description from the brewery:

Olde Bongwater Hemp Porter also won a gold & bronze medal at the 2008 & 2009 NABA brewfest, respectively. We add pelletized industrial hemp to our most notorious brew. Seasoned beer drinkers will detect a slight nutty or grainy flavor emanating from the approximately 1/2 pound of hemp seeds per 16 gal keg. This Porter is a rich, chocolaty, robust style porter.

Have you ever had one? I’ve had several (and brewed a couple) and have never found any enhancement to the beer, flavor or otherwise, from the hemp seeds…or any other part of the plant. IMO, it’s a gimmick so you can say you did it. If you’re looking for a psychoactive beer, you’d be better off to drink a beer and smoke a joint.

Or dry-bud it?

Or dry-bud it?[/quote

a waste of good material.

Never actually tried a hemp beer but keen to try my hand at brewing one.

I’ve used hemp powder as a protein shake. It does have a nutty taste but I wouldn’t say its a good taste or one I’d want in my beer also its packed with proteins so I’d be concerned with head retention if the seeds were cracked. I’m with it being a gimmick just like pumpkin beer, you gotta put just enough in so you can say its a pumpkin beer.

Another option for beer with a “medicinal” effect would be to look into gruit. Many of the gruit herbs are thought to have psychoactive properties. You could even stretch the truth and tell people that it’s brewed with “herb” and see if they get a buzz.

Why bother with hemp? Use hop’s evil twin! I’d really like it if someone from Colorado or Washington would try it.

It’s 4:20 somewhere

[quote=“quantumbeer”]Why bother with hemp? Use hop’s evil twin! I’d really like it if someone from Colorado or Washington would try it.

It’s 4:20 somewhere[/quote]

It’s been tried and it’s a waste. Drink a beer, smoke a joint.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“quantumbeer”]Why bother with hemp? Use hop’s evil twin! I’d really like it if someone from Colorado or Washington would try it.

It’s been tried and it’s a waste. Drink a beer, smoke a joint.[/quote]

+1 :cheers:

My old boss who get me into brewing put an oz in a batch of IPA, not hemp, but the female flower…it was definitely danky, but you can get that quality from a number of hops instead, plus hops are MUUUCH cheaper.

I agree with Dennys advice on this

I’ve had hemp beer. Not impressed. I’ve heard hops and cannabis are cousins. What a great family.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“quantumbeer”]Why bother with hemp? Use hop’s evil twin! I’d really like it if someone from Colorado or Washington would try it.

It’s been tried and it’s a waste. Drink a beer, smoke a joint.[/quote]

This is another situation where I will take Denny’s wisdom and test it for myself to get my own results. I think I can handle the directions here. Anything for science.

I look forward to your results! :wink:

Well, I don’t think it is a brewed beverage, and the chloroform might confuse the effects of the Cannabis, but the bottle looks right! From my Granddad’s store, ~1920. Horses, step aside. I imagine more of this went into north Alabama folks (prohibition, dry counties…) than stock.[attachment=1]BeeDee_Colic_Remedy2.jpg[/attachment]

Cheers!