Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Help with Honey Kolsch

Two weeks ago, I started a batch of NB Honey Kolsch using Wyeast 2565. It’s been sitting in my 60 degree basement fermenting nicely. I’ve never brewed this recipe or used 2565 before so I’d like to know what I should do from here. I have a colder part of my basement that stays at 49 degrees and I also have a garage that stays a pretty consistent 35-40 degrees this time of year. I’m not planning to drink it prior to fishing opener in early May so time is not an issue.

Thoughts?

Well the 60° is nice for that yeast. After your sure it’s done fermenting I’d move it the the coldest place you can even outside it won’t freeze unless you get -°s but it will clear it up nicely

4 Likes

I agree with @brew_cat. In my experience honey can take a long time to completely ferment as it lacks nutrients. Make sure that fermentation is completed before getting it too cold.

1 Like

How long should I keep it cold before bottling?

The longer the better… You’ll actually be able call that “lagering”…
Well, let’s be realist… Fishing opener around here is mid May… I’d bottle it mid April… Needs time to re-ferment…
Sneezles61

If you do a secondary you can leave it in there months. Primary only maybe less. Like @sneezles61 says depends when you want to drink it

You should monitor the gravity and bottle when it is finished and stable for at least 3 days with the same reading. Then brew another beer and spend you waiting time as making time instead IMO.

2565 takes 5-6 weeks to settle out. Since you are in no rush, I say you should leave it at 60 F the entire time. Just let it do its thing.

2 Likes

My Honey Kolsch has been fermenting for 6 weeks now at 60 degrees. I opened the bucket to see how clear it is but I really can’t tell. I have a clear carboy I can transfer it to but I’m OK with bottling it now if any leftover particulates will settle out during conditioning. Thoughts?

1 Like

i would bottle it

1 Like

I commend you on your patience! Many people have a hard time waiting this long. At this point I would rack to secondary and see how clear it is, then decide if & when it will be ready to bottle. You can also add gelatin at that point to help settle the yeast if necessary.

Cheers.

1 Like
Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com