Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Help with a gose?

I’d like to try my hand at making a peach gose; I’m hoping that you guys can offer some insight on what I’m going to try to do:

Primary fermentation with no fruit using standard yeast (something clean - Safale 5 or American Ale).
After fermentation is complete:
Transition to a secondary, add fruit (peach puree or concentrated peach juice) and a good healthy starter of WLP672 Lactobacillus brevis.

Essentially my goal here is to not use soured malt and to not add lactic acid - but to use just yeast to reach the desired effect. Does the above plan sound like it would work?

Thanks!

Using bacteria in the secondary sounds like a fine way to sour it. It’s a good way to produce consistent results and everything I’ve read/heard is that it produces a more rounded sour than just using sour malt or lactic acid. Just keep the hops to a minimum and keep in mind that the peach will up your abv. I don’t know how alcohol tolerant that strain is.

The other thing you can try is a sour mash or sour worting. These can produce a nice sour with the added benefits that the beer is ready weeks or months sooner and you don’t have to worry about contaminating your equipment. The one and only Gose I made, I mashed 1 lb of grain then put it in a growler filled to the top with water and kept it around 100°F for about 18 hours before brewing. I also used lactic acid to get my mash ph correct. Worked out great and got a nice subtle sourness.

This post is very good here. Actually with the knowledge to know them all.

This should work well IMO. I made a fig gose one time using a similar method and it turned out great. Try to keep the lacto secondary ferment below 68* as it can produce medicinal flavors above that.

Also keep the table salt additions below the perceivable threshold by weight. Your mouth should water, but it shouldn’t ‘taste’ salty.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com