Help please, filtered at .22 micron but have cloud in bottles

Hello, first batch of wine/mead I have made.

I used two gallons of blueberries, boiled it, filtered out seeds and skins then boiled it down to just less than a gallon.

I then added two cups of a processed honey, one cup raw honey, and a quarter cup maple syrup.

This got me to about 16 percent sugars. I used a red wine yeast.

It was a little acidic, took a month and a half to get it around 2.5 percent sugars. I racked it twice.

I filtered it through the vinbrite kit, then through .22 micron syringe filters.

I did add some distilled water to top off the gallon, but this water also went through the .22 micron filters.

I then put the corked bottles in the fridge since it gets so hot here in the day.

Today, 24 hours later, I notice a dark cloud in the bottom of my bottles. What can this be? I filtered my wine/mead, let’s call it wead, and put it in the fridge after so no yeast should be building up. There was easily over 50 ml of space that this cloud was taking up.

My thoughts are two things. After super filtering the wine I heard it kind of shocks it, and it needs time to remix and settle. So being chilled, could this be a seperation of particles based on weight?

Also, since I used honey as a sugar, and ended fermentation early by fine filtering, can this be honey particles crystalizing from being chilled?

I got them out and put them in a closet for now. Tipped and remixed them.

What do you guys think is going on? My wine was crystal clear last night when I bottled it.

Could it really still be fermenting? Do I need to worry about exploding bottles?

Please help me understand what’s going on.

Chill Haze? I know wine clarity and color go hand in hand. I’m in to more natural less processed wines.
Did you track your final gravity?

Filtering to stop fermentation is a new one on me. I’m wondering if the haze is Pectin from boiling the berries.

1 Like

You are also stripping flavors when you go to that fine a filter

It wouldn’t even have to be to .22 to filter yeast out. There a .45 filter as well but they would clog up fast

Learn something new every day, thanks!

I don’t think it is haze because that wouldnt settle out I wouldn’t think. Probably next time filter for a final racking and let that settle out before bottling. Not sure of your process of boiling the fruit down to sugar then adding water back in. I’ve always just either added whole fruit or juiced the fruit.

I have no idea what you mean by tracking gravity, sorry. Kinda was just a spur of the moment creation.

I am not sure, I think I used the pectic enzyme. But not a starch one.

I have heard that, but with my limited knowledge, I wanted to just make sure it didn’t taste yeasty, or have any bacterial contamination risks. I want to try to age a few bottles for a few decades.

The vinbrite kit has like a 5 micron size, 3, and .45 or something like that.

It actually worked really well.

Those .22 syringe filters we’re another story, pain in the ass.

I added water before my filtering to bring it back to a solid gallon.

When making I poured 2 gallons of blueberries in a 5 gallon stock pot, poured enough water so they were all under, then boiled them heavily.

After removing the pulp and seeds and such I had like 2-3 gallons of liquid.

I wanted to concentrate those sugars so I could get higher alcohol levels with less honey, sugar or whatever.

So I boiled that down to just under a gallon. (So the three cups of honey would make it a gallon.)

My next creation will be a buffalo berry with hints of other wild berry brews.

Thank you for your thoughts everyone.

So you do not know your original and final gravities (OG and FG)? How do you know what your alcohol content is or whether or not it’s done?

Why would you wait decades to drink it? I make wine and Mead and depending on what I’m making how long I age it before I bottle it. Now fruit wine not that long maybe a few months red grapes wine a good year. Not sure how long you left it in the carboy. Let it age in the carboy with an airlock. Don’t be in a rush to bottle. I don’t think you can do much now. You can open the bottles and decant to new bottles but that risks oxidation. I know it probably doesn’t look nice but at this point just leave to settle and compact . For long term storage leave it on its side at a slight angle just enough to keep the cork wet. When you open it keep it angled when you open and decant to another bottle. If you get that crap back in solution it will ruin the taste. I hate giving my wine away because many don’t know how to handle the wine

I am not familiar with those terms, I use a hydrometer or whatever to measure sugar content and such. Or is that what you mean?

Thank you for the advice, and I only desire to save it for the right occasions. A bottle or two I wanted to store long term. Don’t they get better with age?

I let mine ferment a month and a half. It only had like 2.5 percent sugars left out of 16

yes when you use a hydrometer you are measuring Specific Gravity, but you are using the Brix or degree Plato scale on your hydrometer which is common (I guess) for wine makers to use. The question of knowing when it is done is about taking multiple measurement over a length of time and noticing no change in your hydrometer reading.

Ageing a few years can definitely help sometimes. What I’m trying to do is get a pipeline going with my wines and Mead drinking the oldest first. I’m out to about 3 year’s now. I’d like to build out to about 5. After a certain amount of time they don’t really change that much. If your using regular corks the wine will probably be oxidized after decades