Help me diagnose a pale beer issue

No. The latest one was made with Best Malz Pils. I haven’t used Briess in awhile. Mostly Rahr Pale Ale malt for ales and Best Malz Pils, Vienna and Munich for other things. Why? Did you hear something funky about Briess malts doing this? My guess is that I need to be slapped on the wrist for not understanding all of these relationships and I will say right now that I was being irresponsible with adding 4 gallons of untreated sparge water to pale beers (well all beers really… but the darker ones were okay) and it may have been 50% distilled, 25% distilled, etc. I think the pH of the sparge was causing this. On the last 2 pale lagers I just made the last 2 weekends, I was more careful and tasted the wort going into the primary… smooth, clean, clear, sweet. Cheers Beerheads.[/quote]

I have always gotten funky flavors from most Briess malts and avoid using them. Yeah, I know that a lot if breweries and homebrewers use Briess, but it’s not to my tastes. When you mentioned the problems, it juts kinda jumped into my mind.