HELP glass carboy & rubber stopper won't stay

My first time using a glass carboy, and my stopper won’t stay tight.
It just slides up. How do I keep it snug?

Put the stopper in the carboy before you put the airlock in the stopper

I did. It just slides up. Do I need to dry everything?

I have a bung that does the same thing, but my stopper stays. Maybe your rubber stopper is one size too big? When I use the bung, I put a plastic Baggie over the top and wrap a gum band around it and the neck of the carboy then it stays.

pre fermentation? just cover it with foil instead.
STar san somesimes makes them pop up.

Use a little tape if after fermentation

Drying it should work. Use something sanitary, like a new roll of paper towel

[quote=“harpdog”]My first time using a glass carboy, and my stopper won’t stay tight.
It just slides up. How do I keep it snug?[/quote]

Yeah, that’ll happen when they’re wet. I recommend using a dry, lint-free cloth. As long as it’s clean, and you limit your drying area to the stopper and the area it directly contacts inside the glass carboy, your sanitation will be fine.

I had the same issue. Take the aluminum foil advice and let the bung dry. I’m guessing it and the carboy neck are soaked in star-san like I had it. It’ll all be right as rain soon enough. Just make sure you get your carboy covered while your stopper is drying.

I use the red carboy cap instead of bungs. They go over the top instead of inside and work better than a bung IMO. I bought them at my LHBS. Homebrewstuff.com sells them for $2.99.

they do let in more oxygen if your keeping for longer periods of time.
AGain if this is just pre ferment dont even bother with a stopper when fermentation kicks offs foil is good enough (nothing is getting in with co2 pressure coming out) then throw the airlock on after a couple days

The stopper is trying to tell you to install a blowoff hose. :smiley:

I don’t care who you are, that there is funny. :shock:

That’s what I did - no problem. It was just after pitching yeast.

I don’t care who you are, that there is funny. :shock: [/quote]

Agreed!

Just tell the carboy to relax and it’ll be alright. Then JAM it in. :shock:

I had this happen to me. What worked like a dream was to put a tad of rubbing alcohol on the rubber stopper, let it air dry for two mins and put it in the carboy. Should work.

Wipe it with the same cheap vodka you use in the airlock, wait 10 seconds, and it’ll be squeeky dry and will stick easily.

Be careful this technique only works once then they become hip to it ask my wife. Seriously I spit beer all over my screen when I read this post. Wtf :cheers:

+1
Cheap vodka is the trick.

Be careful this technique only works once then they become hip to it ask my wife. Seriously I spit beer all over my screen when I read this post. Wtf :cheers: [/quote]

Not gonna lie, I was a little drunk off a Belgian golden strong and snorting as I typed it. :lol: