Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Hefeweizen fermenting and blow off

I brewed a full 5 gallon batch of the Bavarian Hefeweizen yesterday and put it up to ferment yesterday evening(used the Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat). I have it in a 6.5 gal plastic BMB. Woke up this morning and the lid had blown off. I replaced the lid with a clean one and added the big blow off tube. Its still going like crazy and still blowing the lid off as well as coming through the blow off tube. I added some tape but it looks like shes gonna blow that off as well. Its obviously a very active fermentation. What else can I do to keep it from overflowing and blowing the lid off?

WY 3068 is known for a vigorous fermentation start. A fair size diameter blow off tube is required or a fermentor with at least a couple gallons of head space. I would take the tape off and let the krausen come out at one point on the rim. Loosen the lid a little on one side. With the tape on the lid a lot of beer may be on the ceiling when it blows. Also check the fermentation temperature. It may be too warm producing extra activity.

Setting the fermentor in a tub of 68°F water will cool the fermentation if it is too hot.

I forgot to add the current temp according to the thermometer sticker on the BMB is about 74/75 so I’m going to try and bring the temp down some also hoping that will help.

Put a congrete block on the side of the top. Put it in a swamp cooler to keep the temp under control

Flip the lid seal 180 degrees.

3068 is notorious for that. It actually requires a 33% headspace. So you would actually require about a 7gal fermenter for that yeast. Your 74° temps are very high resulting in an extremely overactive fermentation only complicating the blow off.

1 Like

I must say, My that looks great!! Sneezles61

Thanks for all the quick responses! I got everything cleaned up, new sanitized lid and blow off valve and the temp is getting cooler so hopefully that will take care of it! Looks better already.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com