Heating Mash Tun Idea?

I have been reading up on HERMS and RIMS systems. But I have a different idea. Use copper coils inside the cooler mash tun. And use a pump and a 1500 watt coffee perculator to heat and pump water through the mash tun coils. All I would like to know is if this is enough to heat up the mash tun? I would be using heated strike water but then get the mash up to the exact temp I want. Has anyone heard of someone trying this? I don’t want peoples opinion on circulating wort being better (because it is) or the difficulty of stirring the mash or clean up. Just would like to know if this would create enough heat in the mash tun. I already know that a 1500 watt coffee perculator works for a HERMS system. But would the heat exchange in the mash be enough? Would definitely have to stir a few times and if I built it I would fit the coils on the inner outside of the cooler.

Want it or not here it is… it’s much better to pump the wort, you get clearer running’s and a more even temperature in your mash tun. Soapbox = Off.

I have an electric heat calculator on my web site in the beer calculators section that will tell you how long it will take to raise the temp of a volume of water based on your wattage. With my HERM’s I find that having the water in the HLT about ~15-20°F hotter than the desired temperature of the mash works well. I don’t overshoot and running the pump a few minutes will bump up the temp a degree or three as needed. Sounds like you want to use the peculator part of the coffee maker to pump the boiling hot water through your coil in your mash tun… so basically a one way trip for the water?

Keep thinking outside the bubble!

John

I would be using a march pump from the perculator through the coils back into the perculator. The coil in the mash tun will definitely be heating things up. The mash acts as a insulater so I will just need to stir until I hit my temp.

That does make more sense using a march pump. Just keep in mind you will be losing heat each time you open the lid to stir… in fact I use that technique to lower my mash tun temp if my strike water is a bit hot.

Give it a try with just water and see how close you can get it…

John

All I can tell you is that it’s been tried and there’s a reason you don’t see people doing it.