Health store

Ok hold your horses. I am not gonna get healty love my meat beer coffee and a smoke. But did see a health store. For the first time. Here on bonaire. They do sell grains. Can i use them for beer brewing. Or are they a different kind of grains

Probably not the right kind…go inside and get a list :slight_smile:

WHEW… I thought you were gonna bail on us… some need to be malted and others need to be in a gelatinized state to convert to sugar. Sneezles61

For any barley make sure it is malted. I found what I thought was a bargain at a feed store on a sack of barley but it was not malted.

If not intended for brewing I would be cautious using any grain. Maybe try a small amount and/or post here what they have.

1 Like

Kind of afraid to enter a health store

2 Likes

Going into a health food store is only hazardous to your wallet!

2 Likes

Wonder if you could malt your own grain on a small scale.

I would be suspicious of grains in a health food store for brewing. The grains may be good for bread or bulk in the diet but may not have the same malting characteristics of the grains developed for brewing.

You can use a portion of unmalted grains along with some barley malt. Even up to 50% of the grain bill can be unmalted, depending on the diastatic power of your base malt. Think corn grits, rice, flaked rye, etc. Might be a decent way to manage cost by cutting out some of the malted grain.

Tomorow day of. Will go there read whats on the package. But did some research last night on info of grains for consumption what i did find out till so far. Its good for bread. Pasta. And other healty nasty stuff. So dont think

Well looked this up. On how to do. Conclusion its a pain in the butt. Gonna order bulk basemalt from nb. And other ones. In 1 lbs backs next nb order. Did ask my brew partner to bring. Malt grains with him when he does come back next week. See if mr tsa. Will give him no hard time

1 Like

Morning you all on the long run think its gonna be shipping grains in from the usa. Got one problem out of the way. I can store the bulk grain in a cool container. A buddy of mine has a restaurant. Can store the grains. There nice cold and no insects to worry about. Now figur out. How much grain to buy. Only issue. I been thinking. Ship grains here so got lots of same kind of grains. Than. This means same beer type. But thats ok. Buy base malt. And more specialty malts on the side

1 Like