Harvesting Yeast from Bottle

So I got a bottle of Galaxy Dry hopped Pseudo Sue that I sampled back in March and found a nice bunch of yeast that settled out in my glass so I decided to save it.

This has been in a mason jar in my fridge since then. I plan to make another attempt at a clone recipe in the next two weeks and am curious if I should try to grow this up or if I should just use the WLP007 the recipe recommends? I assume I would need a stepped starter to grow this up before it would have enough cells to pitch. Any advice or recommendations?

:beers:
Rad

I have had varying results using yeast from a bottle but why not try building it up and smell/taste it to be sure it’s OK? If anything doesn’t seem right you can always go with the WLP007.

I second that notion too! If you do want to X-beerment, then get the 007 going and split your brew and you can do a side by side sampling… And of course, return with your findings… Sneezles61

I’ve done it from the bottle worked fine. Get 2 bottles if you can and decant the beer leaving the slide behind. If you pour it in the glass you may contaminate it. Then pour it in a jar or whatever you use for a starter and add some wort. Build it up until you have enough. Go on the Bells Brewery site. They encourage growing their yeast up and give step by step directions

That’s a good point, hadn’t thought about that as I’ve never attempted to harvest from a bottle before. I left about a half inch of beer in the glass above the yeast, swirled it up and poured it into a sanitized mason jar. Maybe I shouldn’t even attempt it as it would have been exposed to possible contamination based on my drinking from the glass. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:beers:
Rad

Swill beer

You’ll never know where that mouth was… Wait a minute… You should have a better clue than any of us! :sunglasses: Sneezles61