Harvesting Rodenbach Grand Cru dregs

If I were to harvest the dregs out of a bottle of this, grow it up with a stepped starter, would that mimic WL Roselare? I’d really like to get a Oude Bruin started. My understanding is Roselare is a blend of lacto and Brett Bruxellensis.

Sorry to break the bad news, but Rodenbach is pasteurized so none of the bugs end up making it to the bottle.

Here’s a great reference for harvesting from sour beers:

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/20 ... dregs.html

woof.

great link though, thanks!

Will have to pick up a few more sour bottles and shotgun the Rodenbach :slight_smile:

Roselare is just a blend of brett and lacto though right?

Our blend of lambic cultures produce beer with a complex, earthy profile and a distinctive pie cherry sourness. Aging up to 18 months is required for a full flavor profile and acidity to develop. Specific proportions of a Belgian style ale strain, a sherry strain, two Brettanomyces strains, a Lactobacillus culture, and a Pediococcus culture produce the desirable flavor components of these beers as they are brewed in West Flanders.

There you have it from the website. From that link posted previously I used La Roja dregs to kick up my Flanders Red in conjunction with Roselare right out of the gate. It’s getting there are 8 months or so, but still could use a bit more kick. Might have to buy another Roja bottle.

Also, you should just send me that bottle of Rodenback if you’re planning on shotgunning it! :cheers:

I used Roselaire yeast once. The beer came out clean. It eventually developed some brett and a pelicle, but I have had similar results with other yeasts that were clean. The exposure to oxygen and acetobacter is what gives you that sour character.

I did a tasting of sour reds a few years ago. We ordered the beers from Belgian Shop in Belgium. Two or three of the beers had brett, and two or three did not so brett is not mandatory.