Hand crank or drill

After using a drill. For long time. Went back. To hand crank. Do feel. My crush becomes beter. Feel with a drill it goes to fast. Me happy. With my gap setting. So thats not the issue. I do think. Besides being longer busy. And sweating up a storm. Happy with end result.

My drill has variable speeds as you press the button and I run it slow. So agree with your thinking slower is better

I agree. You should run the mill slow with a drill. Optimum speed is different for each mill but is usually around 150-200 rpm.

I have a variable speed as well and try to go slow but it doesn’t always work out. My plan is to put the mill on a board or bench and drive it with an electric motor using appropriately sized pulleys to get the correct RPM at the mill.

Same with my drill. Variable speed but sometimes I find it hard to get keep it slow. There is a dial on the trigger to stop it and keep the RPMs down but I haven’t mastered that yet. It will bog down if you try to go too slow.

I don’t think my out come from fast or slow has changed since I started grinding and using an electric drill motor…
If it goes too slow… one kernel with stop it… And as it is, I can’t just top off the hopper… The only reason I go a bit below wide open is for the dust… My drill has a reduction and top RPM is around 500…
Sneezles61

Hand cranking 12lbs of grain does not sound fun

2 Likes

It took hand cranking 2 large grain bills and then hooked up my big hammer drill instead… not on the hammer function obviously

1 Like

Got my self a 220 volt. Drill. Machine. Its real hard to control the setting either way slow. The rollers dont turn. Or to fast. Mayby i can borrow a battery drill machine see if this works. Before i buy one

Friend of mine did gizmo a. Car window wipper. Electrical motor. With a stereo volume button. He says perfect

2 Likes

Motorizing your mill has come up before so went out and Googled up a couple of articles. There are many more.

I do 50lbs or more so the hand crank is not an option. My drill is a 110v 1/2" Makita hammer drill. Even with that my hand gets tired after that much.