Gunk

Lost an o ring out of mash tun bulkhead valve so I took it out. In the process I decided to disassemble it and holy moly, the inside was packed with nasty gooey crud. Gave an overnight pbw soak and working it wit a toothbrush to get it clean. First time taking it apart. Guess I better do the others. What’s your practice? Do you disassemble and clean after every use?

I have taken stuff all apart to thoroughly clean… seems like I just all of a sudden decide… time to clean the brew rig… the worst one is the pump… I flush it out after every brew with boiling water… but it doesn’t stop some sort of fungus from growing in there… (enter a barfing emoji here)…
Sneezles61

Me kind of lazy as well do it when i do clean or replace hoses make a sort of cleaning day out of it

I find that kind of gunk when cleaning my CF chiller. PBW soak, run a “trumpet snake” through and flush with hot water. Some disturbing gunk comes out. Hard to figure why and how I have not had an infection. I clean and rinse before use and let boiling hot wort sit in it before turning the water on. Rinse immediately after use.

At the brewery where I work once in a while, we do a complete disassembly and PBW cleaning every few batches. We do a PBW in place cleaning at the end of the brew day if we’re going to brew again in the next day or so. Guess maybe I should take a cue from that?

Oh, when ready to chill… I’ll fill the chiller with boiling wort… it sits for a bit then it gets dumped down the drain…
Sneezles61

Why I love 5gal BIAB way fewer parts to clean. I used to do 10 gallon batches with valves on the tun an kettle and a chiller to clean. Dont miss it really just have to brew more which is the part i enjoy anyway. Pretty much everything is cleaned before im done chilling

1 Like