Got my water report back...what are your thoughts

So far it’s hard water with high alkalinity and low calcium, magnesium, and sulfate and I have been digging around and will eventually get BeerSmith to help me out but what are your overall thoughts on this water…

pH 7.3
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 198
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.33
Cations / Anions, me/L 3.4 / 3.6

ppm
Sodium, Na 5
Potassium, K 2
Calcium, Ca 40
Magnesium, Mg 13
Total Hardness, CaCO3 154
Nitrate, NO3-N < 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 6
Chloride, Cl 5
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 188
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 155
Total Phosphorus, P 0.10
Total Iron, Fe 0.20

Hardness is not a problem and this isn’t that hard a water. Actually a very nice brewing water, excepting for the alkalinity. The flavor ions (Mg, Na, SO4, and Cl) are all at low levels so that you can add those ions as desired for flavor. I wouldn’t boost the Mg levels unless you were brewing a hoppy PA or IPA, though.

Once you master your acid calculations to neutralize alkalinity, you should be on your way to pretty nice brewing water.

Enjoy!

I’m jealous of your water.

I suggest having it tested a few times over the course of a year to see if it is consistent. Given how low the main ions are in your water, I’m guessing any variation will be relatively low impact.

Yep. That water would save me 8 bucks/batch and a trip to the water store. You’re lucky. Good for you.

+1 that’s better then my water after I dilute 50/50 with distilled.

Well huh. I just moved to a new house and the water tasted different so I wanted to make sure. I have been reading the books about homebrew water chemistry but it’s not always the easiest to understand. Thanks for the input!

I love BeerSmith! It makes brewing much easier. But for my water adjustments I use Bru’n Water (https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/).

Be sure to read the instruction sheet (twice).

P.S.
Be sure to read the instruction sheet (twice).