Gordon strong Avant Garde American Pale Ale recipe's

Hello I have a question regarding Gordon strong pale ale he saids to Boil for 75 minutes, adding the hops per the hopping schedule. Allow the wort to rest for 5 minutes, then chill rapidly to 68. Now I get that I need to boil this for 75mins an add the hops as the recipe dictates. But the part that confuses me is were he say to let the wort rest for 5min see here the hoping schedule for this recipe g) Amarillo whole hops 8% AA (FWH)
0.5 oz (14 g) Columbus whole hops 14% AA (15 min.)
0.5 oz (14 g) Columbus whole hops 14% AA (10 min.)
0.5 oz (14 g) Simcoe whole hops 12% AA (5 min.)
1 oz (28 g) Amarillo whole hops 8% AA (2 min.)
0.5 oz (14 g) Simcoe whole hops 12% AA (0 min.)
Now when he say to let the wort rest for 5min before chilled it to 68f am I adding the 5min hop addition an then turning off the heat an letting it rest add the 2min addition at the 2min mark an the 0min addition during that 5min rest before chilling it rapidly to 68f

I think what he means is to let the wort sit for 5 minutes after adding the 0 minute hop addition at flame out(or power down for electric systems). Start the rapid chill after the 5 minute rest period.

1 Like

I think @flars is correct. I’m not sure what a 5 min. rest would accomplish though. Maybe let some of the junk settle down.

Really short hopstand for the flameout hops?

1 Like

Some of the peeps in the FO hop schedule, don’t want to cool the wort too much… They believe that under boiling, there less of an aroma/flavor evaporation, with out gaining some grassiness at cooler temps… Make sense ? I’m not too sure if I buy that, but have yet to do a comparison… You know, 5 gallons hopped/ steeped for 5 minutes then through the CFC into the fermenter, and the other 5 whirlpooled until temps are down to, say 140*… Sneezles61