Good Deal?

I’m just getting in to the kegging scene & picked up a couple CO2 tanks. I got 2 20# used steel tanks on Craigslist for $60. It cost me $80 to recertify & fill both tanks. Is this a decent price or not? I’m guessing with four taps & purging, this will last awhile ( if no leaks!) Building my keezer now. Can’t wait to break it in!! :cheers:

I was just at CO2 store last week getting filled and checked on 20# (I have a 10# and two 5#). For a used newly hydroed filled 20# tank they wanted $110.00. So at that price to get 2 I would say you got a good deal.

Our local fire and safety placed certified my tank for $25, and fills them for about $20. I think that’s close to the going rate.

The next time your CO2 tanks are up for recertification, consider exchanging them at AirGas. It’s cheaper to get a different bottle that is already filled than to re-certify and fill.

Thanks for the input guys. At least i don’t feel violated!! Guess i did alright.

Sounds like a plan, thanks! :cheers:

Yes, you definitely got a good deal. A couple years ago I paid a local fire extinguisher place $90 to build a 20# aluminum tank for me (first fill included) and I was happy with that.

[quote=“Thirstyone”]Thanks for the input guys. At least i don’t feel violated!! Guess i did alright.

Sounds like a plan, thanks! :cheers: [/quote]
But you’ll only need to recertify it every 5 years. A 20lb tank should last you a year or 2, depending on how often you brew and drink. I brewed 38 batches last year, filled my tank in June, it’s almost gone already. Brewed too much, dumped too much beer troubleshooting an issue. But the previous tank lasted a year and four months. That was 26 batches or maybe more.
I’d say you got a great deal on 2 tanks.