Giving up on hydrometers

Broke my lab grade FG hydrometer while it was air drying in the sink in a dish rack - lightly bumped the tip when washing a glass. Damn - I’m just going with Sean’s calculator and my refractometer from now on.

Hey! Just rinse it and put it away in its’ tube.

They also make plastic ones.

pfft.

[quote=“ynotbrusum”]Damn - I’m just going with Sean’s calculator and my refractometer from now on.[/quote]And your beer will thank you.

amen to that

Last month I finally shelled out for Morebeer’s final gravity hydrometer. I broke it taking it out of the package :oops:

I hate hydrometers, but they are the tool of choice for final gravities. Refractometer everywhere else.

It would be nice to have one of those narrow-range FG hydro’s though. Are they that fragile? I’ve had my original hydro from my original beer kit for over 13 years. Its always in its tube when not in use.

pfft.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote=“mabrungard”]I hate hydrometers, but they are the tool of choice for final gravities. Refractometer everywhere else.

It would be nice to have one of those narrow-range FG hydro’s though. Are they that fragile? I’ve had my original hydro from my original beer kit for over 13 years. Its always in its tube when not in use.[/quote]

The one that broke was for FG use only (limited range). I liked it because it was easy to read. I still have my old ones, but they are harder for my old eyes to read. I’m sure I will still use the old ones, but that lab grade final gravity hydrometer was really slick. I was just careless and bumped it - at least I got to use it quite a few times.

:oops:

After I bought a back up to keep on hand I have yet to break my primary one. Been using it without issue for a long time. :roll:

[quote=“mabrungard”]I hate hydrometers, but they are the tool of choice for final gravities. Refractometer everywhere else.

It would be nice to have one of those narrow-range FG hydro’s though. Are they that fragile? I’ve had my original hydro from my original beer kit for over 13 years. Its always in its tube when not in use.[/quote]
It was no more fragile than any other. The packaging was a little tight and I wasn’t looking at it too closely in my excitement to check things out.

I know that I will regret even posting this for fear of the jinx; but I still have my original hydrometer.

Though, I did just recently buy a refractometer and now use that and the calculator for final; so it gets less use.