Give Me Your Best Belgian Tripel

I have brewed a nice Tripel from malt extract but I’m sure there is an all-grain recipe out there that rocks. I spent 5 years in the Netherlands as a young Army soldier and experienced the Trappist Brothers Tripels every weekend. They are my all-time favorites. My Dutch father-in-law educated me on them and I’m glad he did. If you have an all-grain Tripel that is close to any of the Trappist Monastery brews, and want to share, I’d love to try brewing one or more of them.

80% pils malt - mash at 148-149 for 90 min.
20% table sugar
Noble hops to about 30 IBU
Ferment with WY3787 starting at about 65 and letting rise to upper 60s/low 70s after a week

Very much like Westmalle tripel

Tripels are very simple, straightforward beers to brew.

[quote=“Denny”]80% pils malt - mash at 148-149 for 90 min.
20% table sugar
Ferment with WY3787 starting at about 65 and letting rise to upper 60s/low 70s after a week

Tripels are very simple, straightforward beers to brew.[/quote]

Denny, what is the target OG?

Thanks, Denny. Table sugar? Why not Belgian candy sugar? I’m guessing it’s basically the same thing, only more expensive, right? I also thought BCS is made from sugar beets and not cane sugar. Can you verify?

Styrian Goldings make a nice finish hop for this style.

Your target gravity should be 1.075-1.085. I like 1.082.

Make sure it finishes out below 1.015. A sweet tripel is not good. My last tripel went from 1.083 to 1.000 with WLP 530 which is the White Labs version of 3787. I usually make an all malt Belgian Single at 1.045-53 to get a big yeast cake and then rack the tripel onto that yeast. Leave plenty of room in the carboy. This yeast makes a big krausen, and the yeast can blow out the top which will leave your beer sweet. I usually use two carboys for 6-7 gallons of tripel/Quadrupel when I use this yeast.

Thanks, SA Brewer. I like the idea of 7 gallons and two carboys. Didn’t know about the sweetness issue, though. Appreciate that.

Something a LITTLE outside the box…

~12 lbs Belgian Pils Malt
~1.25 lbs German Munich Malt
Mash 147F for 75minutes
Infuse boiling water and mash 156F for 15 minutes
8-10 HBU Tettnanger, Hallertau, or Styrian Goldings… low AA high quality hops 60m
Irish Moss/Yeast Nutrient at 15 minutes
.75 oz fruity american hops at flameout (I like Amarillo)
Pitch big starter of WY1214 or WY3787
Ferment around 66-68 ambient
after 3 days make a sugar solution with 1lb table sugar and 1 lb of Agave Nectar. Add a little water and bring to a boil to pasteurize. Add this to the fermenter.
Ferment 20 days. Crash cool and age in secondary or keg.

That looks pretty bad ass, Wahoo. One question for the noob, how do you add the sugar/agave solution three days later to the carboy without worrying about contamination? Funnel? Thanks.

I ferment in a bucket or a conical so it’s a little easier, but if I was using a carboy, I would definitely use a santized funnel. Make sure you leave enough headroom in the carboy on brew day so you can add the sugar solution without overflowin’.
It’s a really nice beer. There are different agave syrups you can buy, but I use a light colored “Organic Blue Agave Nectar”. It ferments very cleanly and really is primarily a source of simple sugars with a small fruity taste contribution.

[quote=“560sdl”][quote=“Denny”]80% pils malt - mash at 148-149 for 90 min.
20% table sugar

Tripels are very simple, straightforward beers to brew.[/quote]

Denny, what is the target OG?[/quote]

Around 1.076-80

Belgian candy sugar is a ripoff invented for gullible American homebrewers…well, maybe not, but it offers no advantages. Belgian brewers don’t use it. They use sacks of sugar, either cane or beet. It really doesn’t matter which.

Belgian candy sugar is a ripoff invented for gullible American homebrewers…well, maybe not, but it offers no advantages. Belgian brewers don’t use it. They use sacks of sugar, either cane or beet. It really doesn’t matter which.[/quote]
HAHA
In Belgium, Belgian sugar would just be called “sugar.”

Belgian candy sugar is a ripoff invented for gullible American homebrewers…well, maybe not, but it offers no advantages. Belgian brewers don’t use it. They use sacks of sugar, either cane or beet. It really doesn’t matter which.[/quote]
Yeah, that’s what I thought. Appreciate that. I’ll forgo Belgian Candi sugar from now on.

Yeah, that’s what I thought. Appreciate that. I’ll forgo Belgian Candi sugar from now on.[/quote]

Skip the candi rocks for sure. OTOH, the candi syrups have a flavor you’ll never get any other way.

Candi syrups?

These guys
http://www.darkcandi.com/d2.html

[quote=“Belpaire”]These guys
http://www.darkcandi.com/d2.html
[/quote]

Great stuff, but I actually prefer these…

http://candisyrup.com/