Getting good feed back on your beer

Had a family dinner party last night. I had three beers ready to drink. Bavarian Hefeweizen, Witbeir, and Caribou Slobber. Instead of just asking which they would like to have and pouring a full one decided to do a tasting for all of the beers. Usually just get a 'it’s good" when pouring a full glass. Three ounce pours, sample, and rinse mouth before the next sample.

Wife’s parents went with the Witbeir. Wife’s sister the Caribou Slobber. Her husband the Hefeweizen. Everyone gave some really good comments on what they were tasting in each sample. Wife’s sister liked how smooth the Caribou Slobber was with a dry coffee finish. Her husband just thought it was just bitter at he end.

The orange flavor was noticed by most in the Witbeir but were surprised the subtle back ground flavor was coriander which is less noticeable than in the Gaarden Hoe recipe.

I’ll have to continue brewing the Hefeweizen even though I’m not getting the light color or clove flavor anymore since it is liked by wife’s brother in law.

Wife’s sister was surprised that the Caribou Slobber was just a little over 5% ABV. She had always equated dark beers with very strong beers. I brewed this one with Munton’s yeast for a higher FG.

Very good evening with getting honest feed back on the beers. We had grilled brats, smoked ribs, corn on the cob, and an oriental salad for the meal. That was enjoyed also.

3 Likes

When I know people are coming over I put as much different styles in the fridge as possible. I always do what you do but I open one bottle at a time and split it as many ways as possible. I focus on what I think people will like in the beginning and use the random sour or brett as a palate cleanser.
Rather than focusing on the beer I try to focus on drinkers, mentally taking note of what their preferences are. The next time they come over I once again try to serve to their likes but I try to surprise them as well.
I only tell them what they are drinking if they show an interest or, flip side, disgust. For many of my friends, their first taste of Saison, Lambic or Brett beer happens with me and that can be a lot of fun for everyone (especially as the night progresses :wink:)

1 Like

Same. One bottle at a time. When I don’t want to pour any yeast it gets difficult to hold the bottle steady until all the samples glasses are filled.

1 Like

I typically get the yeastiest glass.