German Pils

53*F and 1.025… according to Tilt…
Sneezles61

The pot looks good. You don’t want to leave the juice behind. When decocting you can pull either a thick or thin portion. You need wort with it because it needs to boil. It would be hard just to boil wet grains.

Then that boiled grain and wort is added back to the mash to raise the temp to the next step.

1 Like

Just checked… 1.010… and at 56*F… I’ll allow it warm up now
My snow pile for the lagering is growing quite nicely…
Sneezles61

Gravity the same… temp now at 66*F… I’ll make a day this week to brew my Bock…
I’ll allow this Pils to carbonate in the keezer, and when its good, I’ll dig a hole in the snow pile and bury it!
Sneezles61

1 Like

Boy… too many issues so can’t brew just a bock just yet… BUT… just kegged my lager… the sample was quite interesting… I’ll report back when the carbonation is complete.
Sneezles61

Its getting close now… sampling (kicking the settled yeast out?)… Very good flavor…
Sneezles61

the german pils finally kicked. i nursed that keg to make it last and in doing so some if it lagered longer. And as expected of the style it kept getting better. I liked the water profile and so im going to next brew up a true Dotrmund Export.

1 Like

So I need to ask this… Does a cream Ale need as much water tinkering? I’m getting a bit bored messing with water.
Suppose the Ale yeast will cover up my 230 ppm RA?
Sneezles61

I would think that any decent water profile should be fine for a cream ale. The cream ale has the corn and a minimal to modest hop profile so I think any flaws related to water would be minimized compared to a Helles or a pils.

1 Like

I use the balanced profile on brewers friend for the cream ale

1 Like