German Pils

Able to use yer well water straight out of the spigot? Use more of the Cations to offset the RA?
Sneezles61

Probably could just add some gypsum. When i said cider territory above i meant cider dryness not flavor

1 Like

Ok changed the water profile to Dortmund

When I looked it said you were adding 6g of gypsum. Is that accurate? Seems like quite a bit. I think changing your water profile to more of a Dortmund style water profile will help you too.

The Dortmund profile is 300mg SO4 my water only has 5mg i think the calculation with 9.5g gets me to 205 the cacl addition gets me 66 Cl it keeps me 3:1 but less than the Dortmund calls for

Its treating 7galons of water

Got it! Perhaps add a little gypsum to a glass of your current pils and see if it makes the hops pop a bit more.

Well i don’t have a pilsener on tap but i added a bit .15 g to a cream ale which isn’t super hoppy but actually liked it. I may be moving to a different profile for this one as well. This was about 1:1

1 Like

That was fun to read! Educators problem solving and listen to each other. Helping each other out to make a good product! Yes it may be beer, but it is BEER.

1 Like

Ok finally getting to brew this today. Here is the profile

Top is the Dortmund profile bottom is my actual profile

1 Like

Double decoction 75 minute boil also did a P rest

Yer bicarbonate being low is good… and the other minerals are close enough…
A dabble decoction should keep you busy!
I’ll look forward to yer tasting notes…
I’ve got a couple to keg so I can tinker with this style… now that its cool out…
Sneezles61

Not completely clear yet needs some more lagering but im running low sooo. Nice aroma at first i thought i could taste to much gypsum because of the Dortmund profile but not anymore as it clears. I didn’t really give this a hard cold crash. It has a nice little bitterness and a the foam throws a pleasant aroma. I ordered Oysters from cape cod for some company next week and i think this will pair nicely. The minerals in the beer with the minerals in the oysters. I’m saving the shells for an oyster stout

2 Likes

I’ll start next week… I’ll use yer grainbill as the template … Time to dig back into water stuff…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Today WAS to be brew day… but we finally got a good amount of snow… I’ll brew tomorrow then… lotsa snow to remove now… :grin: I’ll be able to add to my “snow cave”!
Sneezles61

EDIT: looks like fun tomorrow!!

2 Likes

THAT was interesting…
I used a 2 gallon grant for decoction … Soooo, couldn’t do 1/3 stuff… Took a while to go from ground water… 50F+/- to 110F… (And I didn’t boil the amount pulled out)… thats when I turned the element on to get up to 158F…
I did pull out 1.25 gallons for a hard boil… Added after the basket was clear of the wort…
Gravity is confusing… Refracto sez… 1.048… And Tilt sez 1.061… I’ll dabble check tomorrow…
My reconnoydered chest freezer and frozen gallon jugs are employed…
Sneezles61
EDIT: Tilt now aligns with my Refracto… The air thermo in the chest reads 50
F… and the Tilt is at 60*F… So it appears alls going accordingly…

1 Like

Having a hard time following what you did above. A decoction is boiling the thick masy not the liquid. It should look like oatmeal. It is then used to step up the temperature. The outside heat is just to fine tune the temperature

“Enzymes told me not to boi!!.. I had to listen to them”… Close to the top of the 2 gallon grant, was a bit too much… After all was done, my first run through the chillin’… I pour out a quart… looked good…
Sneezles61

Is the grant electric?

no… just a small stew pot…
Sneezles61

I tried to leave the juice behind… but it decided it wanted a warm up period also…

1 Like