Gelatin and yeast

Does gelatin, as a fining agent in a primary or secondary, remove active yeast as well as other solids. My concern is that bottle carbonation could be negatively affected.

Different yeast strains respond differently to gelatin fining.

The only way to answer your question is if someone has experience with the yeast strain you are using.

You could conduct an experiment yourself, for the yeast strain you’re using, by fining the entire batch with gelatin, then bottle a couple without adding yeast and the rest with a bottle conditioning yeast.

[quote=“mfinnegan”]Different yeast strains respond differently to gelatin fining.

The only way to answer your question is if someone has experience with the yeast strain you are using.

You could conduct an experiment yourself, for the yeast strain you’re using, by fining the entire batch with gelatin, then bottle a couple without adding yeast and the rest with a bottle conditioning yeast.[/quote]
Using US-05

For the past two years or so, I’ve cold crashed and used gelatin on pretty much every batch- over 35. Various yeast strains, including US-05. Have never had to reyeast, with the exception of last year’s dopplebock that lagered at around 33 for 3 months(Oh yeah, that one I didn’t gelatin).So, yes cold crashing and gelatin works well on chillhaze, and does drop yeast, but it doesn’t turn it into a desert, there’s still enough yeast in suspension.

I have had the same experience as JimRMaine. The yeast will drop out, but not 100% of it to where you would need to add more yeast – still plenty for bottle conditioning without any problem. Your clarity will be very much improved though. I don’t know of any fining agent that works better than gelatin. I love it. It’s the first thing I’ll use with any haze issues, as it works so well.

Thanks gentlemen. I used gelatin for the first time a couple weeks ago and the brew was beautifully clear, but didn’t the fizz I expected…evidently another issue. I don’t think I used enough priming sugar.