Garden Plans

There are options galore!!! My concern about the these tall beds would be with all the dirt to fill them up… We freeze solid… and you know what frozen stuff can do… I keep entertaining putting straw bales in the bottom, then throw an old sheet over that before you add dirt… I’ll think maybe some 9 wire/ceiling grid wire in the middle to help reduce bowing?
Now trying to redesign so there’d be less issues?
Sneezles61

Old tires might be outside MY tolerance. Haha.

My oldest son’s GF has her garden in tires, an old stone fire pit, a half barrel and a couple of big old broken ceramic urn looking pots. All stuff that was left in the backyard of the house they rent.

The people in that last YouTube video I shared put a lot of support structure into theirs. 4x4s and steel posts. I like the sill/seat on top too.

I like @brew_cat ‘s daughter’s idea of filling the bottom with sticks. I have plenty of down and dead wood around, then maybe I’ll fill the gaps with straw and put about a foot of good garden soil on top.

Materials for this would cost me $420 for 2 raised beds at Home Depot and that’s substituting SPF 2x6 for the cedar. If I go this route I may just paint or seal the top board.

I planted strawberries in an old toilet years ago. They went from the tank to the bowl to the ground. My wife didn’t like it initially but when it filled in she admitted it was pretty cool.

4 Likes

Speaking of raised beds and strawberries I was just telling my wife about a plan I was about. Build my raised bed to be solid on one side (wood or metal) the back side just wire. Fill with wood chips (I get all I want for free) then the top 12" or so soil. Then grow stuff on top and strawberry plugs through the wire hanging down. Easy to drape bird netting over

2 Likes

Strawberries… That’s a touchy plant for us… Years ago we had a patch and it lasted a few years… Then it’s was like, no way will they grow here… So we gave up…
I see some ideas of a hydronic planters on the deck… Grown in pvc sewer pipe… Not re-purposed stuff! So I have a bunch of buckets set aside… I’ll build this late winter-early Spring… Just something different to try…
I can see next spring should be busy here… I better get lotsa brews up and ready for that season…
Sneezles61

I’d put that sucker out front by the mailbox. Neighbors would love it.

1 Like

And put All political bs in it too!!
Sneezles61

Any more daydreaming?
Sneezles61

I sowed red clover this year after cleaning my boxes. First time I’ve done that.

Copper kills worms. Def not good for a garden environment

1 Like

Yea, that’s my point. Treated lumber and growing food don’t go together IMHO.

The old treated lumber wasn’t safe… The new product has been proven to not cause harm… BUT… It still rots… That is why I’ll build using tin…
But at the current moment… Any wood is about double in price… I’ll wait and start my remodel in the spring… I haven’t priced sheet metal yet…
Sneezles61

A buddy that puts up hoop houses tells me it’s cheaper to put up steel than wood. He’s going to bend me some hoops for a quansut hut I’m planning. 12x20 $450. Going to wrap it with metal roofing. The roofing I need to price

1 Like

Plan to use purlins?
I got one from a friend… It’s kinda flimsy… I will re-enforce the structure with 2x’s… Mainly a wood shed… And be able to park a few gizmo’s in it too…
Next year…
Sneezles61

I’ll put in some purlins. This is a heavier gauge steel 1 1/2. I had one of those porta garages for years 8x16 lasted for years until the snow collapsed it in a huge storm

1 Like

Header on each end… Ridge support… Post at each mid frame…
The first 3 from the left, will be wood shed…
Sneezles61

That style will need more support. Hoops are a little more supportive. I have one like that I wrapped with bird netting for my blueberries

1 Like

Another really cool looking “green house” type is a gothic style… And some interesting ways peeps build them…
Sneezles6

2 gardens catalogues showed up already!! :dizzy_face:
Usually we don’t see them until Feb… Do they know something we don’t know?
Sneezles61