Gambrinus Honey Malt

can this grain be steeped or do you have to do a mash. I’m not to that point yet. If it does need to be in a mash does anyone have a good substitute?

It is listed under “Caramel and Crystal Malts” so steeping is fine.

Whenever I use it in an extract recipe, I steep it with the rest of my specialty grains.

What type of brew do you use this malt with?

I’ve used it when I’ve made honey ales. I just used it last week, a 1/2 lb with 7 lbs of 2 row for a honey ale. Of course, I added some honey at the end of the boil, but I’ve made honey ales using just pilsen malt extract and honey malt, cascade hops and WLP001 and it came out great.

i was trying to figure out if I could do this recipe as an extract/specialty grain recipe. It was a recipe I found online.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.00
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.004
IBU: 32.8
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 10.2
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 Days at 65F
Tasting Notes: Balance of spice from the Rye and Malt sweetness.

This beer is the only beer i have consistently on tap. I have brewed it about 10 times now and think i have perfected it, although i still tweak it to experiment.

Grains
5lbs Marris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1.5lb Munich Malt (20.0 SRM)
1.5lb Flaked Rye (2.0 SRM)
1lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.5lb Cara-pils (2.0 SRM)

Hops
0.50oz Summit (16.50%) - 60min
0.50oz Centennial (8.60%) - 15min
0.50oz Centennial (8.60%) - 5min

Mash at 154 F for 60min

I ferment for 2 weeks in the Primary then keg. Keg is usually tapped about one month from the time brewed.

FG listed is my measured FG, but anticipated FG from Beersmith is 1.012.

Hops can be substituted freely. I’v done Summit only, Cascade only, Centennial and Cascades, etc. Any hop with a citrus flavor will mesh perfectly.

Please enjoy!

I have not tried the recipe. I just pulled it from a post.

Jaywisn, that recipe seems to be setup for 80% efficiency. Dumbing it down to 70…

Substatute LME Marris Otter (3.15lb container) for the MO grain. Steep (mash, Munich is base grain) the rest of the grain for 45-60 minutes @ 150. Rinse with some hot water.

Also add 1.25lb table sugar to reach the desired OG of 1.052.

From the looks of it, I think it should be mashed. The inside of the grain is starchy, not glassy, right?

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Jaywisn, that recipe seems to be setup for 80% efficiency. Dumbing it down to 70…

Substatute LME Marris Otter (3.15lb container) for the MO grain. Steep (mash, Munich is base grain) the rest of the grain for 45-60 minutes @ 150. Rinse with some hot water.

Also add 1.25lb table sugar to reach the desired OG of 1.052.[/quote]

What about converting the Flaked rye? How much of the rye extract would need to be used?

I brew a honey wheat that uses this malt. A great summer brew.

CTB Honey Wheat

Fermentables
6 lbs Wheat LME (if doing a partial boil, add half at the start, half at flameout)
1 lb Honey (added with 2 minutes left in the boil)
.5 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt

Hops
1 oz Mt Hood (5.2 AAU) @ 45 min
1 oz Mt Hood (5.2 AAU) @ 10 min
1 oz Centennial @ 1 min

Ferment with US-05

I use 4 oz in my IPAs.

[quote=“jaywisn”][quote=“Nighthawk”]Jaywisn, that recipe seems to be setup for 80% efficiency. Dumbing it down to 70…

Also add 1.25lb table sugar to reach the desired OG of 1.052.[/quote]

What about converting the Flaked rye? How much of the rye extract would need to be used?[/quote]

Use all the grain as you listed, except for the MO. Remove the MO grain and use (1) 3.15lb container of MO extract.

If you are thinking about using the rye extract

available, it’s a combination of grains.

You could sub it for the MO extract. But there will be a taste difference from the MO and the 2-row.

Using the Rye extract:

(1) 6lb jug of Rye LME
1.5lb Munich malt
1 lb Honey malt
.5 lb Cara-pils