Galvanized paint stirrer danger?

I brewed today and used a galvanized paint stirrer to aerate for the first time. Before using the stirrer i put it in a bucket of starsan to sanitize. When i took it out it was all black. I’m assuming the zinc dissolved in the acidic satarsan. I was able to wipe it down and got some black residue off. I used the stirrer to aerate the wort but now i am second guessing myself. Is it safe to use? Is my starsan full of zinc now? Could this be dangerous? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

You got “some” of the black stuff off? And used it anyway?

Don’t worry about it, if I had a nickel for every time I thought, “Gee, I wonder what that black s**t is? Perhaps I should put it in my beer.” If you drink it, there’s even a pretty good chance you could develop super powers and get to fight crime.

The biggest danger of galvanized metals is never heat or weld it…it emmits toxic fumes

[quote=“JMcK”]You got “some” of the black stuff off? And used it anyway?

Don’t worry about it, if I had a nickel for every time I thought, “Gee, I wonder what that black s**t is? Perhaps I should put it in my beer.” If you drink it, there’s even a pretty good chance you could develop super powers and get to fight crime.[/quote]

Faster than a roiling boil
More powerful than an imperial double IPA
Able to leap tall brewing sculptures in a single bound
It’s Brewerman :cheers: