Galaxy Pale Ale

Any critiques of the following recipe I came up with. I’m thinking of a low gravity pale ale. I tossed some vienna and the biscuit into the recipe to get a little bit more malt backbone and flavor out of a small beer. Galaxy and cascade seemed like a good combo and I’m debating some orange zest just because I read about it in another thread. Clean American Ale II yeast for a lighter hoppy ale.

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs 4.0 oz Rahr 2-Row Pale (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 58.3 %
2 lbs 12.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 30.6 %
12.0 oz Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.3 %
4.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.8 %
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 10.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 5.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 9.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 2.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 5.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Orange Zest (Boil 5.0 mins…Maybe???)

1.0 pkg American Ale II (

1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.3 %
Bitterness: 33.5 IBUs
Est Color: 5.9 SRM

Recipe looks sound, I don’t know about an ounce of orange zest that seems like it might be a lot. Dried peel maybe. Really I’d think the citrus of the Cascade would be adequate. I do occasionally make an orange peel wheat beer for the wife.

I went to Northern Brewer today and picked up the ingredients. Damn Galaxy at $2.99 made this beer kinda pricey for it’s size but I think it will be worth it. Gonna pass on on the orange zest/dried sweet orange peel and maybe try that out next time.

$2.99 an ounce? More than I’d pay for any hop.

$2.99 an ounce? More than I’d pay for any hop.[/quote]

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. They are pretty pricey but I liked them the first time around so I’m giving them one more shot. Brewed this guy up yesterday and actually overshot my gravity by about eight points kind of defeating the purpose of brewing a low gravity hoppy ale. Oh well right?

1.052 is a nice drinkable pale ale. Although you could always add more water.

I thought about that and decided I’d just let it go as is. Maybe adjust the recipe a bit next time, or maybe not depending on how it turns out. I had my mind set on trying one in the lower-mid 4% range but I guess I’m just too damn good at extracting sugars. Sometimes life’s hard when you’re this awesome.

Just kegged this up a bit ago and drew my first tasting glass and it’s pretty good! First off it smells wonderful and it’s not super clear right now but I’m sure that will take care of itself and it will be a nice looking beer as well. Definitely has some fruitiness that comes through in the flavor. Galaxy are definitely unique and I like what they bring to the table. I’ll have to try a few more of these and think about it but so far so good.