Full Boil 5 Gallon batch

To remove the whole dillution of wort step to the partial boil method, would it be possible to scale my wort to two pots on the stove?
I’m guessing if water amount were equal, fermentables would be split 50/50.
Would hop utilization perhaps perform better due to a lower gravity in each pot?
If utilization were better, would it be worth scaling the hops back a percentage?

I’ve thought about this too and have planned to try a few experiments.

1. I will brew two equal pots at 3.5 gallons (accounting for 1 gallon boil off). Each pot will get half of the recipe.

2. I will change 1 by only adding hops to 1 pot but boil equal parts of wort.

3. Boil 6 gallons in one pot (full boil)

It’ll be one helluva brewday but I’d like to do them all together with the same amount of yeast and fermenting at the same temp to try and keep everything equal.

Logically it should work. Just split everything evenly and you should the same conditions in your brew pots the would exist in one large pot.

I used to think about this too but ran across a 12 gallon kettle for the right price before I ever tried it.

Paul

There was an article in the October 2003 issue of Brew Your Own that explored this concept using a method the author dubbed “The Texas Two Step”. I don’t have that issue of BYO and the article isn’t online, unfortunately, but the author discusses it further at

Thanks! I’ll give it a listen.

Are you brewing with extract? If so, you might just want to stick to the concentrated boil. By adding some extract late, you can avoid hop utilization issues. And you don’t need the full boil volume for efficiency concerns like with AG.

Yes, its with extract. So far two batches under my belt one going to the bottle today and the second moving to secondary.
I guess there’s no need to “fancy up” the extract process!

I’m actually surprised fermenting both batches near the bottom of the yeast range gave me expected attenuation. I was worried when my basement temps dropped, next round I’ll possibly use a water bath with an aquarium heater.

[quote=“donovan.lambright”]There was an article in the October 2003 issue of Brew Your Own that explored this concept using a method the author dubbed “The Texas Two Step”. I don’t have that issue of BYO and the article isn’t online, unfortunately, but the author discusses it further at

.[/quote]

perhaps this is the article you’re speaking of…

http://www.byo.com/stories/techniques/a ... ur-madness