From PSI to Nuttin in Seconds Flat

Hi All,
I keep my tank in my keezer and I recall reading that the gauge won’t display correct due to temp. This past week I was pouring like a champ, the gauge showed 500psi and things were all right in the world. On Friday, needing a long awaited pint after work, I went to one of my kegs and nothing - no pressure in that keg and zero reading on the regulator. My other two kegs were still pouring. So this leads me to believe that:

1. the pressure in the other two kegs was enough to push out beer and they’re sealed correctly and
  2. the one particular keg was leaking all along subsequently draining my tank.

Am I close to the mark on this diagnosis?

Thanks, Mike

I would vote for 2

Yes, #2 is almost a bullseye of an assumption at this point :frowning:

Agreed. Check your lid (make sure you’re putting the lid on under pressure, like 25-30psi). Check your keg connections (would be the gas in connection if there’s a leak). Make sure the top is tightened down with a flat head screw driver. Also, check to make sure the gas line isn’t split anywhere. I had this happen once. The clamp that secures the gas line to the regulator was too tight and after wiggling around over time, the clamp itself slowly cut into the gas line. It started a slow leak.

Excellent points Dan.

Are all the kegs hooked up at the same time? Without check valves in your lines the gas will equalize throughout the whole system. If one keg was leaking, then all of the gas would eventually find it’s way out. BTW I use squirt bottle of soapy water to spray on all the fittings.
Was the low side reading 0 psi?

All 3 are on their own valves. The two that are still holding carb were turned off. I’m leaning toward the one and only one being leaky. I bought a bottle of leak finder from our sponsor that I intend on cracking the seal tonight. Just filled my bottle so once again, I have gas. I hope to have this frustration squared away tonight.

Sometimes those leaks can be a beating but it seems like you have it narrowed down to just the keg. If you can isolate the keg in the system, turn the pressure way up. It’ll be easier to find the leak.

[quote=“Steppedonapoptop”]Hi All,
I keep my tank in my keezer and I recall reading that the gauge won’t display correct due to temp. This past week I was pouring like a champ, the gauge showed 500psi and things were all right in the world. On Friday, needing a long awaited pint after work, I went to one of my kegs and nothing - no pressure in that keg and zero reading on the regulator. My other two kegs were still pouring. So this leads me to believe that:

1. the pressure in the other two kegs was enough to push out beer and they’re sealed correctly and
  2. the one particular keg was leaking all along subsequently draining my tank.

Am I close to the mark on this diagnosis?

Thanks, Mike[/quote]

The pressure of any gas is dependent on the temperature of the gas. It is reading correct. Unless your gauge is broken.

eta: While there is liquid CO2 in the tank, the high side gauge will read the same. Once all the liquid has turned to gas, the reading on the tank will drop like a rock. So the high side gauge doesn’t provide much useful info.

So after checking last night and hooking up a new tank, I find that not one but a few worm clamps are only finger tight on a few lines, wtf?? In addition my double check valve is loose. I’m baffled by this. All lines were tightened, made a few minor adjustments here and there and checked for leaks. All seems to be okay. But how the clamps loosened is beyond me. Maybe the temperature constricted/contracted the blue gas lines???

This why you use the Oetiker clamps only won’t pinch or cut the hose and won’t loosen.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/step ... tiker.html

Thanks!!

Reading this post sounds exactly like what I am dealing with. For all the years I used a tap system with 1/4 kegs of Miller lite, I always left the C02 valved in. Now I started home brewing and bought a dual regulator for two cornie kegs. All of a sudden I am loosing Co2. It has been driving me nuts. This has been going on for a year. I soaped everything. Nothing showed anywhere. I am at my wits end. I went to the LHBS for hardware and help. I wanted to go back to my old regulator and rig it for two kegs, I came away with neither. Their answer, shut off the tank when not using the tap system. I switched to all oetiker clamps. (Still lost Co2) They are kind of hard to find around here. I have a keg of NB cream ale that is close to running out. Even though I shut off the gas, the gauges started to stay where they are even after a few days. I can’t explain it, what happened to the leak? Since I never found the leak, I will always shut off the Co2.

I had this same problem. What I did was check all my kegs and connections after pressurizing to about 35 psi with a soap and water mix. (There is no need to get leak detector, basically any soapy-liquid will work, even windex). Anyways, I traced everything back from one keg to the next until I hit the co2 tank; zero leaks. The leak was in my regulator, I found this out by bringing an older one home from work, switching it out, and repeating the test. The original is serviceable so when time allows, I will get the kit. Hope that helps. Most regulator valves have a rubber diaphragm inside that over time will deteriorate. Depending on how long it was on the shelf at the store you purchased it and how long it has been in service, this may be an area you want to look at. Hope this helps. :cheers:

Thanks. I believe I bought the dual regulator from Midwest about a year ago. I bought it the same time I bought the second corney keg. The problem started soon after. I know I shouldn’t have done it, but I pressurized the regulator and dipped it in a bucket of water. I was sooo frustrated, I still am. Nothing showed up. I used liquid soap and water, commercial leak detector, and even Starsan. I have no idea where that leak is. I never did get my single regulator rigged to run two kegs. A restaurant supply company wanted to sell me a dual manifold, his price was way way too high just for some experiment. I just wanted one of those “y” that come out of the regulator then to each keg. I checked the pressure yesterday evening when I got home from work. I lost a few pounds but the gauges were still showing some pressure. I cracked the C02 valve open, then shut it back off after bringing the system back to normal pressure. I’ll check again tonight. Did your other regulator show any signs of a leak before you switched it out?
Brad

I find spraying with star san to work as well.