Fridge temps without temp controller?

Is it possible to maintain stable temps in a refrigerator by just using a thermometer and adjusting the dial in the fridge? I just acquired another refrigerator and want to start lagering, but wondering if I can get by without investing in digital temp controller.

If you are using it for the actual lagering process and not the fermentation, why would you even monitor it.

Just set it to the coldest section. It’s isn’t going to go below freezing. And as low as you can go without freezing will be great for lagering.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]If you are using it for the actual lagering process and not the fermentation, why would you even monitor it.

Just set it to the coldest section. It’s isn’t going to go below freezing. And as low as you can go without freezing will be great for lagering.[/quote]

Well, let’s say then that, along with lagering, I do want to use it for fermentation. Would it suffice to monitor it with a thermometer during fermentation, then crank it down for the lagering process? Up until now I’ve only brewed ales (extract), but I want to start lagers now that I have the ability to do so.

If you install a new thermostat ($20) you can use the fridge for lager fermentation, but without one you will have a very hard time maintaining 48-50F (beer temp).