Fridge - Fermentation Chamber/Keezer 2in1

You guys ever hear of people turning the top part of a fridge into a Keezer? I currently have the fridge on temp control. I ferment beer in fridge and store beer in top freezer. So m thinking of having a couple 3 gallon corneys and putting a tap on freezer. No frozen beer.

What you guys think?

Makes perfect sense to me. This is a top freezer fridge I assume? I don’t have any 3 gallon cornies but from what I could Google they are about 16" tall. I measured the freezer compartment on the old top/bottom in our garage and it is about that tall. I don’t think one would fit in it with the quick disconnects on the keg. YMMV

If it does work that would be a great way to utilize the otherwise useless freezer compartment.

[quote=“HD4Mark”]Makes perfect sense to me. This is a top freezer fridge I assume? I don’t have any 3 gallon cornies but from what I could Google they are about 16" tall. I measured the freezer compartment on the old top/bottom in our garage and it is about that tall. I don’t think one would fit in it with the quick disconnects on the keg. YMMV

If it does work that would be a great way to utilize the otherwise useless freezer compartment.[/quote]

I just measured a 3 gallon keg and it’s 16 3/4" to the top of the handle, which is just about level with the top of the keg connector. I’m thinking 2 1/2 gallon kegs might be a bit shorter, if they can be found. The issue I have with the smaller kegs is that they tend to be more expensive than the five gallon kegs. The upside is I can fit one on the step inside my converted freezer beside my C02 bottle.

Williams brewing has kegs as small as 1.75gals. Most shops do sell smaller cornies but you are right, they are all the same price!

Good to know. Funny, I’ve bought kegs from Williams Brewing, but never noticed the smaller kegs, probably because I wasn’t looking for one at the time.