Freezer has a smell to it

I purchased a chest freezer off of Craigslist and it was a steal of a deal. The freezer has a vinegar/pickle smell to it, so I cleaned the inside good and then bleached it. If I keep the freezer closed for a day (not running) and then open it, I can still smell that smell - not as bad, but it is still there.

I have been reading some hints online about trying to get rid of the smell, but one question I have is this: if I plan on using this as a kegerator as well as fermenting, is the smell going to cause any issues?

Shouldnt really matter since everything you will be putting in the freezer will be under positive pressure from either a CO2 system or CO2 from natural fermentation.

Plus keep cleaning it. Try something like bar keepers friend or something like that. It may help to scrub a little.

[quote=“gusrotteyman”]
I have been reading some hints online about trying to get rid of the smell, but one question I have is this: if I plan on using this as a kegerator as well as fermenting, is the smell going to cause any issues?[/quote]

The smell will be unpleasant, and if you’re like me, it’ll be a constant bother. I’ve successfully used OdoBan in a number of different situations, and it’s fantastic. Give it a shot.