Founders Breakfast Stout

First thanks to the pro at Northern on Grand for drumming up this recipe for me.

I want to make Founders Breakfast Stout, and he came up with a recipe (partial mash). I have only made 5 brews, and all were kits so this will be a step up for me. The Recipe calls for 1 1/2lb American chocolate, I really hate to sound noobish, but what kind is that? I also was wondering this stout has coffee taste, is this from actual coffee beans, or is one of the grains give it that taste? The recipe has no coffee in it.

Here is the actual recipe:

(mash) og 1.093
7lbs DME golden light
2lbs crip maris otter (cant find this on northerns site)
1.5lbs american chocolate
1lbs flaked oats
1lbs english medium crystal
12oz roasted barley

(hop)
2oz challenger 60min
2oz east kent goldings 15min 69.5ibu
wyeat northwest ale (1332)

2oz cocoa beans 1min

Does this sound close to others? How long do you let it sit in secondary? Any advice would be appreciated.

I’m about to brew this too. I’m using the byo recipe that’s found here: http://www.byo.com/stories/issue/articl … tout-clone

Crisp is just the English Maris Otter and American chocolate is Briess chocolate the coffee taste comes from the roasted grain.

[quote=“Knowname72”] I also was wondering this stout has coffee taste, is this from actual coffee beans, or is one of the grains give it that taste? The recipe has no coffee in it.

[/quote]

It’s been awhile but I chatted w/ staff years ago when they were at their startup location. I recall mentioned that they got their coffee beans roasted locally and I believe “Sumatran” beans were mentioned. Most of their beer is high octane so plz understand my fuzzy memory.

Since then I’ve been under the impression that they added coffee at two points, pre fermentation and post fermentation w/ the post fermentation possibly being cold extracted.

That linked recipe that Meerts posted might be a good starting point.