Fosters clone question

Im brewing a fosters clone and im currently in the fermenting stage of about 5 days. Im fermenting @50 degrees . How long should i let it go before racking to a secondary or should i rack to a secondary at all. I wanna bottle this batch. any other tips and information would be a big help.

Are you using a lager yeast? Regardless, you’re probably going to want to lager (cold condition) at just above freezing when primary is done. You can do that in a secondary, or if you keg you can just keg it and let it lager in the keg.

Don’t get in any hurry to finish primary, yeast work slow at those lower temps, and a little extra time on the yeast is more likely to be a good thing then a bad. Last lager I made (doppelbock) I left in primary for over a month before I got around to lagering it.

depending on what yeast you are using you may want to raise the temp before it gets done fermenting(diacetyl rest).

Sorry i forgot to mention im using safale 23. I know its not the best yeast for this situation but its all i had.

yea, i got a beer fermenting with that yeast and let me tell you, denny will slam you.when this beer is done i am going to dump it. i don’t get much sulfer from this yeast but i will still raise the temp at the end just to clean it up.

Y are u gonna dump it? How do u know its gonna taste bad? Ive had good luck with this yeast in the past

i’ll let it play out, probably not going to dump it unless it has in infection.
i just reread my post and what i meant was dump the yeast not the beer.

[quote=“speed”]i’ll let it play out, probably not going to dump it unless it has in infection.
i just reread my post and what i meant was dump the yeast not the beer.[/quote]
Grant it speed its not the best yeast as for as a lager goes but when thats all u have and u have a bad itch to brew it definitly gets the job done.