Forgot 1 important item

I brewed my mead this morning, my 4th mead. While I was stirring the honey in, I realized I forgot one important item: yeast. My LHBS opens at 4 this afternoon, so I left it on the stove, burner off, and covered. I plan on going over to the store at 4, coming home and pitching the yeast. I should be OK, right? The only thing in the water at this time is 16 lbs of honey. I haven’t added anything yet.

Paul

You’ll be fine.

Yet another example of why keeping a pack or two of dried yeast on hand is a good idea.

I know, I have packs of dried yeast for beer, just didn’t think to get any for mead. I pitched 2 packs last night, and there is activity.

Don’t forget the nutrients.

I pitched them too. 5 tsp of nutrient and 1tsp of citric acid. It’s perking nicely in the primary now.

Have you looked into staggered nutrient feedings?

I know, I have packs of dried yeast for beer, just didn’t think to get any for mead. I pitched 2 packs last night, and there is activity.[/quote]

A clean ale yeast would work in a pinch.

Baratone, I’m not sure how to do that.

I know, I have packs of dried yeast for beer, just didn’t think to get any for mead. I pitched 2 packs last night, and there is activity.[/quote]

A clean ale yeast would work in a pinch.[/quote]

Rookie, do you have a suggestion, as far as which clean ale yeast? I’ll get some for the fridge.

[/quote]

A clean ale yeast would work in a pinch.[/quote]

Rookie, do you have a suggestion, as far as which clean ale yeast? I’ll get some for the fridge.[/quote]

Safale-05 would be my first thought, perhaps nottingham. Of course my first choice would be a proper mead yeast, but if I had to pitch soon and only had ale yeast I’d give it a go. Some time ago I brewed a braggot with WLP008 that turned out great and I’m thinking it would do okay in a straight mead.

While not my first choice, many mead makers have used 1056 with good results.

Hey Paul,
I’m new to mead and happened to read your thread. In looking for info I ran across our host’s instructions. I think they are adding yeast nutrient in a ‘staggered’ method. Get confirmation to be sure though.

Good Luck!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documenta ... elomel.pdf

[quote=“Brew On”]Hey Paul,
I’m new to mead and happened to read your thread. In looking for info I ran across our host’s instructions. I think they are adding yeast nutrient in a ‘staggered’ method. Get confirmation to be sure though.

Good Luck!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documenta ... elomel.pdf[/quote]

Yep, they are using staggered nutrient feedings. I have had very good luck with staggered feedings and its my preferred method with any mead or cider.

I will definitely try that with my next mead. Thanks for the tip!