Flying Dog Double Dog (Nitro)

I just got back from Baltimore and had this at Max’s in the square. Was a great tasting beer even at 10%. Great finish and not to sour/tart. I had to have 2 of them :wink:

I really like this beer. It’s not far from, say, Dogfish 90 in terms of OG and IBU’s, but it’s got none of the offputting sweetness. Really solid stuff. This was on Nitro?

Guess it’s just personal taste, but I’ve pretty much concluded that I don’t like Nitro…even in Stouts.

[quote=“rustyhoover”]I really like this beer. It’s not far from, say, Dogfish 90 in terms of OG and IBU’s, but it’s got none of the offputting sweetness. Really solid stuff. This was on Nitro?

Guess it’s just personal taste, but I’ve pretty much concluded that I don’t like Nitro…even in Stouts.[/quote]
I’m not sure what the nitro stood for, but I had dogfish 90 while I was there and will never buy it again, not my thing.

Nitro indicated that it was being pushed with nitrogen, like Guiness.

I really like nitro or hand-pulled IIPAs, I think the difference in mouth feel and toning down the hops a bit makes them much more easy to drink rather than ripping your gums off (but, there is definitely a place for those beers too)

Totally agree regarding DFH 90. Yuck.

Funny thing is, they have a seasonal called Squall that is around the same stats as 90 Minute and I thought it was quite good…

By the way, if you’re really a masochist, you should try the 120 Minute. Holy crap undrinkable. I used to believe that pouring more hops into an excessively heavy beer would always help, but this beer proved that there is a limit to everything. Cloyingly sweet with a nasty Mr.Clean-like bitterness…wow.

[quote=“rustyhoover”]Totally agree regarding DFH 90. Yuck.

Funny thing is, they have a seasonal called Squall that is around the same stats as 90 Minute and I thought it was quite good…

By the way, if you’re really a masochist, you should try the 120 Minute. Holy crap undrinkable. I used to believe that pouring more hops into an excessively heavy beer would always help, but this beer proved that there is a limit to everything. Cloyingly sweet with a nasty Mr.Clean-like bitterness…wow.[/quote]

I already told myself there is no way I could handle the 120 and you have helped confirm that fact. I really like to 60 minute and will stick with that. I’ll have to look for the Squall.

I like the 60 as well…it’s a nice session IPA, and when fresh I think it’s far superior to its competitors like, for instance, Victory’s Hop Devil.

Strange thing is, Hop Devil–which is what they’re most known for due, I assume, to the catchy name–might be the only Victory brew I don’t care for. Just about everything else I’ve had from them is quite nice.

Dogfish, on the other hand doesn’t seem willing or able to make many beers that are more than curiosities other than the 60 and a couple other exceptions such as their Indian Brown Ale.

Go figure…

…by the way, I don’t recall if Squall is really worth seeking out, or if it only seemed extraordinary because it wasn’t the 90-Minute. I think it was quite quaffable, but probably no better than a fair number of IIPAs.

By the way–did you get to sample any Troeg’s beers while you were on the East Coast? I don’t think they are distributed in MN, but they make some very nice stuff. Highly recommend their Troegenator Doppelbock, Javahead Stout and Nugget Nectar Imperial Amber (very much like an amber IPA at 7.5% abv and 90ish IBUs–fantastic stuff!!) among others…