Flavored Wheat Beer

I’ve done an American Wheat every spring/summer since I’ve been brewing (all two years). This year I was thinking of doing two batches and flavoring one with blueberry, cherry, strawberry, or something similar to try to make something the wife would appreciate a bit more. Has anyone flavored a wheat ale like this? If so, what was your procedure and how did it turn out?

I played the dumb help last spring in my first introduction to homebrewing.

My new neighbor lured me into this craft with promises of free beer for the small sum of a helping hand and a gallon of wild blackberries from my property!

Came out pretty nice. Less flavor than I thought would be there but the aroma was very prominent!

good luck and FYI…i will be doing the same thing this summer! :cheers:

Here is a thread going on regarding a pineapple wheat:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15059&hilit=pineapple

I did NB American Wheat a while back and added a bottle of strawberry extract to it. It was really good, but if I do it again I would only use half the bottle. A little too much strawberry from me.

+1 I did a raspberry wheat with 1 bottle of extract would go with half to three quarters. Cheers

Where do you guys get these extracts from? How big are the bottles? Do you just rack it and add the extract or how do you do that part?

Many also go the route of adding fresh fruit for color (depending on the fruit) and aroma, then extract at the very end for flavor.

You can get them from our host, I think they are 6oz bottles. I just add mine when racking into the keg.

+1 I did a raspberry wheat with 1 bottle of extract would go with half to three quarters. Cheers[/quote]

I do this quite often. My Dad loves it and has been bugging me lately to make another one.

our host sells 4oz bottles in about 12 flavors

Cheers

You can get them from our host, I think they are 6oz bottles. I just add mine when racking into the keg.[/quote]
Thanks. I haven’t moved on to kegging yet (though I plan on getting there sometime in 2013). I suppose I could just add it to the bottling bucket.

Has anybody tried the purees for this? How would you go about filtering the solids out?

Pretty sure they settle out after a while and just become trub

Gotcha. I cold crashed my last brew for the first time, which would probably help the process. Not sure you’d want to do that with a wheat, though.

Last month I did a coconut honey Am. wheat that turned out quite good.

Sounds interesting. How did you go about that?

Sounds interesting. How did you go about that?[/quote]

3 gallons: 1.050 to 1.009, 20 IBUs
2 1/2 lbs. 2-row
1 lb. white wheat malt
8 ozs. carawheat
8 ozs. honey malt
6 ozs. unmalted wheat
4 ozs. flaked red wheat
4 ozs. carapils
2 ozs. unsweetened coconut in boil
1/3 oz. spalt @ 3.9% to FWH
1/8 oz. spalt plus
1/2 oz. santiam @ 6.1% for 45 minutes
1/2 tsp. nutrient for 15 minutes
1/3 oz. spalt for 3 minutes
1 pck. Wyeast 1010

12 ozs. orange blossom honey on second day once yeast is working
10 ozs. large flake unsweetened coconut last week of primary
mash around 155 for 45 minutes.
ferment low 60s for three weeks; bottle.