Flat White House Honey Ale

So for my second one gallon batch, I did a White House Honey Ale. I don’t think it turned as good as my first English brown ale. I let one this one sit 2 weeks in fermentation and 2 weeks bottle conditioned. I opened one tonight and it tasted fairly flat. No fizz which made it taste bland. While it was fermenting and bottling, I noticed the color was much darker than the ones on NB website. I will post a picture of it when I open another bottle tomorrow. Any thoughts on what went wrong? Bout to do a 5 gallon of the caribou slobber but this has me worried

Just wanted to add that it had no “off” flavors. Just flat. I used the “pints for prostate” bottles caps and fizz drops. I let the bottle caps sit in a bowl of sani while I was bottling.

Was there any hiss when you popped the cap? I bottle condition in the low 60s and nothing is ready until 3 weeks. I’d give it more time, maybe swirl the bottles to stir up yeast. If there was no hiss, I might check the caps to make sure they are crimped all the way around.

1 Like

No hiss at all. I store my bottles where I keep the fermenter. It’s dark mid 60s and no outside walls so it stays a pretty consistent temp. I will double check the bottles to make sure they crimped well. I usually push down on the crimper twice to make sure it’s on. Any harm to stirring up the yeast at all? Thanks for your help!

I will suggest waiting another week before opening the next bottle. Long story short, I found fizz drops often need three weeks before showing carbonation, but after 6 weeks bottle conditioning they are essentially the same as sugar.

1 Like

Thanks! I don’t mind letting them bottle condition longer as long as it turns out well. I will give it another week or so. I did notice a little bit more than normal stuff floating in the bottom of the bottle. I will be using priming sugar for my 5 gallon batches so hopefully that will fix that problem.