Flameout additions

My next brew will have about 6lbs of DME, 1lb of sugar, and about 4-6oz of hop (both leaf and pellet) additions at flameout. I’ve never had this many flameout additions before so I was wondering, does it matter what order I add them in?

I assume the DME will be easier to mix in without a crapload of hop gunk floating at the top but just wondering if people have some preferred order to add flameout stuff or experience.

Personally, I would add the DME & sugar with 15 minutes left in the boil. That is SOP for late extract additions. For the flameout hops, I typically put all flameout additions into a bowl/tupperware and dump them all in at the same time.

If it is a bigger beer (gravity-wise) you could even save the sugar and add it about 48hrs after fermentation begins. Just make a quick simple syrup out of it with a cup or two of water boiled for 5 minutes or so. This probably isn’t necessary for 1lb of sugar but I always like tinkering/trying new/different ways of doing things.

My concern is that adding that much DME at 15 minutes would reduce the temp of the wort significantly enough that it would take it a while to get it back up to boiling temp. I’m using a stovetop so i don’t have the BTU’s to crank it back up quickly.

I’m not sure what this would do to my 10 minute hop additions as well if i had to spend a significant time getting it back up to boil.

You’ll be fine putting all your sugars in up front. Adding DME late is just for making the lightest beer possible, and getting more IBUs out of your 60min addition. Its not a big difference on either though. And you can add your FO additions in any order you want, just stir until everything gets wetted properly.

Adding the DME at the beginning takes my IBU’s from 81 down to 34 (according to BeerSmith2). I’d rather not run to the LHBS and buy more hops, which I literally just got back from :slight_smile:

Can you split the batch into two pots on the stovetop? Then you have two 3lb additions as well as less liquid in each pot to get back up to temp.

Can you split the batch into two pots on the stovetop? Then you have two 3lb additions as well as less liquid in each pot to get back up to temp.[/quote]

Wish I could. That would be ideal but I’d need to go out and buy another pot. Any reason you suggest boiling for 15 minutes? Everything I’ve read said if you add it immediately after boil, that should be significant time at a high enough temp to pasteurize.

I misread what you were saying in your initial post. I’d add the DME and sugar first, get it dissolved well, maybe let it come to a boil and then add the FO hops and turn off the heat. YOu could probably add the DME/sugar and turn off the heat without reboiling, the temp would be enough to sterilize/pasteurize. Id’ still get the stuff dissolved first befor eadding hops though.

Really, just because it is the standard that I have brewed by. 15 minutes is enough time to get everything nice and dissolved as well as getting it hot enough to kill anything that isn’t supposed to be there.

Adding it at flameout you SHOULD be fine. although that is a lot of extract to get dissolved without a boil and it will drop your temp pretty quickly. The 15 minute addition is really just a fail safe.

You could also dissolve the extract in boiling water beforehand and use the homemade liquid extract as a portion of your top off water. IF you are you doing partial boil.

[quote=“GeerBoggles”]
You could also dissolve the extract in boiling water beforehand and use the homemade liquid extract as a portion of your top off water. IF you are you doing partial boil.[/quote]

That’s actually a great idea. I am doing a partial boil so this would work great! Thanks for the idea!

Like making a gravy, mix your DME with cold water. If you want, bring it up to temp in a separate pot before adding to the main boil for your late addition. Or boil it early and cool it down as part of your top off water.