Fizz Drops - what do they do?

Hello. I’m preparing a 2 gallon batch of IPA. In a few days, I will fill my bottles, and add the fizz drops. I read that a fizz drop is just pure sugar. What exactly does the fizz drop do? Does it enhance carbonation in the closed bottle? If so, is this because of a nutrient spike to the remaining yeast that might be suspended in the liquid? THANKS!

Yes, it provides a small amount of fuel for the yeast to produce carbonation in your bottled beer.

1 Like

Yeast remaining in suspension in your beer will eat the sugar(fizz drops in this case) and create carbonation.

1 Like

I didn’t have any luck with them… But then, stuff like that enjoys beating up a left handed swede like me… One trick I never tried was the “Flars” method…
One sugar cube per 12 oz bottle…
I wonder if any tried and would confirm/deny that it worked…
Sneezles61

I did try the Flars method, and it worked reasonably well, I use it mainly when I am bottling whatever wouldn’t fit in the keg. I used Domino dots, basically a sugar cube.

1 Like

Id believe they are less money than fizz drops… If you can find them
Sneezles61

When I started I used fizz drops until they ran out. Then i switched to the dominoes dots. Then that became annoying and I got a bottling bucket my 4 brew in.

The sugar cubes smart idea

Flars idea I believe. He claimed he loved to bottle, liked the process.

4 Likes

He chased down the weight and associated equation… (He very well could have found it somewhere else)… But in my eyes… It’s the Flars method!!
That’s my take and I’m sticking to it!!
Sneezles61

2 Likes

There were little “pills” years ago called prime tabs then other similar and now fizz drops. All just compacted sugar. Makes bottling a little easier especially if you want to only do a few. For 5 gallons it’s worth mixing up priming sugar with your brew in a bucket.

@sneezles61 I will also always think of it as the Flars method. I have been using it when bottling in 25oz PET bottles by using two. Just a bit undercarbed last time but they have been sitting for 6 months waiting for our return south so we shall see. I always had trouble figuring out how many prime tabs to use use too.

Miss Flars around here. When we moved to the new forum format I hated it and resisted. Flars instead read up on how it worked and helped me out a few times with it.

1 Like