First try

This will be my first attempt at a partial mash, and my first time not using a kit. Totally winging it, shooting for the strong, hoppy end of an American Amber. Any thoughts?

Name: Recipe Name Left Blank
Post Boil Volume: 5.00

Grain: Pale Malt (2 Row) US qty:4lbs
Grain: Amber Liquid Extract qty:6lbs
Grain: Munich Malt qty:1lb

Hop : Cascade qty:1oz at:60 mins. AA=5.50
Hop : Cascade qty:1oz at:1 mins. AA=5.50
Hop : Fuggles qty:1oz at:60 mins. AA=4.50
Hop : Fuggles qty:1oz at:30 mins. AA=4.50

Yeast: American Ale qty:1 Max temp: 72.0 Min temp: 60.0

These are just my recommendations and by no means gospel.

I wouldn’t use any extract other than something light. This is especially true if partial mashing. You can get all your color and flavor from specialty or roasted grains. And if you’re already mashing, why not? When I did do partial mash, I would build an entire recipe as it was all grain, then just subtract some of the base malt and replace it with light extract.

I also wouldn’t waste good Cascade hops for bittering. Maybe sub some sort of neutral high alpha hop for bittering and either move that cascade somewhere else or save it for another beer. If you’re set on using cascade and fuggle for bittering, I’d use them as FWH (first wort hop) so you’re at least getting some flavor out of them. Maybe something like this:

FWH: 1oz Cascade & 1oz Fuggle
30min 1oz Fuggle
1min 1oz Cascade

Last, I’d ferment at the low end of the yeasts range, 60F.

Good luck. Welcome to the world of mashing! You’ll be moving on to all grain before you know it.

:cheers:

[quote=“dobe12”]These are just my recommendations and by no means gospel.

I wouldn’t use any extract other than something light. This is especially true it partial mashing. You can get all your color and flavor from specialty or roasted grains. And if you’re already mashing, why not? When I did do partial mash, I would build an entire recipe as it was all grain, then just subtract some of the base malt and replace it with light extract.

I also wouldn’t waste good Cascade hops for bittering. Maybe sub some sort of neutral high alpha hop for bittering and either move that cascade somewhere else or save it for another beer. If you’re set on using cascade and fuggle for bittering, I’d use them as FWH (first wort hop) so you’re at least getting some flavor out of them. Maybe something like this:

FWH: 1oz Cascade & 1oz Fuggle
30min 1oz Fuggle
1min 1oz Cascade

Last, I’d ferment at the low end of the yeasts range, 60F.

Good luck. Welcome to the world of mashing! You’ll be moving on to all grain before you know it.

:cheers: [/quote]

Fantastic… just the type of advice I was looking for… I was honestly just fumbling with a brewing app and tapping whatever sounded fun. Always good to have seasoned brewers to help out…