First Timer Cider Report

Regardless of the health aspects discussed in another thread, I’m pretty happy with my first cider results. I brewed 3 five gallon batches using Notty, US-05, and Cote des Blancs yeasts and cider from a local commercial operation. The cider was a blend of about 11 different apple varieties, smelled amazing, and was delicious fresh. I pasteurized all 15 gallons by heating to 160 degrees and holding it there for 15 minutes before putting each 5 gallon portion in a fermenter and pitching the yeast on 9/19. Gravity started at 1.040-is and finished at 0.994 giving me about 6% ABV.
I’ve tasted all 3 versions still and the results are as follows: all three retained the delicious apple cider aroma. Both the Notty and US-05 versions came out very dry with the US-05 having a hint of what I can only describe as yeast flavor? The Cote des Blancs retained a nice apple tang to go go along with the nose and is hands down my favorite. I also have kegged all three versions and the US-05 improved once it got some CO2 bite as a sparkling version. Still waiting on the CDB and Notty versions to get their fizz. The only problem with this stuff is I can’t stay out of it! I bottled the still versions in used screw cap wine bottles. FYI, there are only two pints in one of those wine bottles. :smirk: I also have some Perry going using juice from the same outfit and CDB. I talked to the cider guy yesterday to make arragnements to give him some of my hard cider and he is going to be pressing some Bosc pears and told me he’d give me some of that juice as well. Guess I’m going to make some more Perry. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I’m jealous

Thank you Noob! I do enjoy hearing about the characteristics! I’m still awaiting mine to finish up… I checked the K.Voss and I was at 1.020… Today I’ll check the other one… Imagine, I can’t remember which yeast is in that one?
I’ll know once I’m downstairs looking at me notes! Sneezles61
Belle Saison yeast…

1 Like

Great to hear your experiences and that they’ve turned out well for you.

I too have my first perry going right now with CdB. Not sure what pears they were but my guess is Bartlett. Lots of sulfur so far, will need some time to mellow. I’m envious of the Bosc pear juice, hope to hear some results from that later if he comes through for you. Bosc is just about the best pear variety I know of.

The Perry seems to be moving much more slowly than the ciders did. From what I’ve read that seems to be it’s MO and I’m expecting it to be finished sometime in December.

I dropped off some cider to my cider guy yesterday and discussed what apples would make a good cider blend wandering through hundreds of bushels of apples in 20 bushel boxes. I told him the sugar was a little low on the first batch which he thought might have something to do with when they were harvested. He suggested I do some more since he’s going to press some later season apples now that are probably higher is sugar content. I mentioned if he had some crabs that a small percentage of that juice works well in ciders. Apparently they’re rare this year, especially since he pushed out that orchard a few years back. He also talked to me about the Bosc pears and had me try one. The guy is really into me making some good hard cider and is going to give a custom cider making blend some thought. I’ve got lot’s of open fermenters so…

Sorry for the book guys! LOL

2 Likes

Are you getting cider apples? I cannot get them here so I think I will add some crabapples next time to give it some tang.

I’m not. This outfit presses commercially and sells to stores as well as to individuals. The cool part about it is the owner grows a zillion varieties of apples, is motivated to develop some blends to make really good hard cider, and is willing and able to press whatever ideas we come up with.

Take some pictures of his setup…
I don’t know whats what on apples for juicing… More research is needed… I want to add a couple more trees over here… Sneezles61

A semisweet resource on just that subject

1 Like

Found this in my search. We used to have some of these on the ground I live on. I think my cider guy has Winesaps for sure. Be cool if he had some others. He is kind of an “apple nerd”. :joy:

2 Likes

I’ve been looking to get a Cox orange Pippin but haven’t pulled the trigger. I have 6 varieties now but got hit with cedar apple rust this year so been cutting down all the cedars to try and break the cycle. Going to spray with copper sulfer this spring. The Cox orange Pippin is a classic English cider strain not American by the way and think I should get this rust under control first

1 Like

Perhaps look to Harrison (think its a Pippin strain) and a Winesap… They can live in temps of zone 5… Sneezles61

I’ve seen a few local orchards offering fresh cider. Just ordered some CdB for my first attempt at a hard cider. Anything in particular I should look for or avoid in fresh cider? Any other recommendations for my first try?

1 Like

Preservatives!!!

I used 1 campden tablet per gallon to snuff out the unwanted bugs… I’ve read that our regular yeast shouldn’t be affected by it… BUT, I do wait a couple of days after to pitch…
Now I see the apples I’d like to do won’t work up here next to the North Pole… Frostbite is the apple I’ll look to try. Sneezles61

1 Like

What’s your zone?

3 Sneezles61

I won’t be using campden. I may pasteurize it.

I want it to be palate-able to a broader spectrum of people so I feel like it shouldn’t have too much funk.

Reach out to @dmtaylo2 for specifics- very helpful! I pasteurized my first try too. Making cider is fast and easy, enjoy!

1 Like

My Kviek one was sure taking its time… Now that it sits on top of the boiler, its chugging along… The belle Saison is in the fridge cold crashing… Keg it in a couple of day… I have to find my auto siphon gizmo… I wonder if I remember how to use it… Sneezles61